This line is open. The line runs from Leuchars in Fife to Dundee. The works include a railway from Leuchars to Wormit, the 2 miles long Tay Bridge across the Firth of Tay, a station in Dundee, a tunnel under the docks in Dundee and short sections of line connecting to the neighbouring lines.
A portion of original Tay Bridge [1st] famously fell, with a train, into the river. A new bridge was constructed slightly further west, see Tay Bridge (North British Railway).
|01/06/1878||Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway)|
Public opening of bridge and line between Camperdown Junction, Dundee (Tay Bridge) station and Leuchars. The Tay Bridge [1st] was single track and the other part of the line double. The bridge had signal boxes at either end. The engineer for the line was Thomas Bouch, knighted after Queen Victoria travelled over the bridge.
Wormit to Tayport via Newport opened. A new short bridge opened from Wormit to meet the Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway) at a junction just offshore. A second signal box was at this junction.
|/ /1880||Tay Bridge and associated lines (North British Railway)|
Locomotive retrieved from bottom of River Tay, nicknamed The Diver and put back in service. The letterbox, of Dalhousie station and now at the museum in Bellingham, was made from metal from this engine.
|01/02/1880||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Ferry Pier Junction to Broughty Pier re-opened following the Tay Bridge [1st] disaster - Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway).
|15/10/1881||Eyemouth Fishing Fleet lost|
Terrible storms sink many fishing vessels from east coast ports, 189 fishermen lost, 129 from Eyemouth. Harmony, Radiant, Press Home, Janet, Lily of the Valley, James and Robert, Sweet Home, Brothers, and other vessels lost. Relief was provided from the Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway) disaster fund.
These locations are along the line.
This is an island platform station which today is the closest to St Andrews. There is a car park on the east side of the station.
Here the Newburgh and St Fort Railway met the Edinburgh and Northern Railway with a junction facing Leuchars. The line doubled before joining the main line. The signal box was in the 'V' of the junction, aligned with the main line. The junction, box and curve to St Fort West Junction closed in 1924. ...More details
This was a two platform station on the double track approach to the Tay Bridge from Leuchars. The goods yard was on the west side, approached from the north. The signal box was on the east side opposite.
This sand and gravel quarry was rail served. There was a signal box on the south side of the line with a siding, approached from the west, behind it. To the north was a longer siding running into the quarry. This was approached from the south east.
This yard was on the west side of the railway a little south of Tay Bridge South Junction. There was a loop off the railway and sidings on the west side. Access from the south was controlled by Wormit Signal Box. A permanent way siding, with a loop, remains here today, now approached from the north. ...More details
This junction opened in 1879 when the Newport Railway was opened to meet the 1878 Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway) at the south end of the Tay Bridge [1st]. The southern end of the bridge was modified with the addition of a new girder bridge which met the existing bridge offshore. The junction was entirely offshore.
This was the viaduct which collapsed in the Tay Bridge Disaster. It was a single track viaduct just under two miles long (3450 yds overall with 85 spans) which crossed the Firth of Tay between Dundee (north bank) and Wormit (south bank). The approaches, built for the bridge, were double track as far as the south signal box and the Riverside Drive girder at the north end.
This was a two platform station at the north end of the Tay Bridge. The station remains largely intact and the southbound station building is used by engineers for maintenance of the bridge. The platforms are timber. The station extends out over Riverside Drive, which was originally known as the Esplanade. The station dates from the second bridge, the original had no station here.
This was the junction between the Dundee and Perth Railway's approach to Dundee West and a short spur from the Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway)'s Dundee Central Junction. It was paid for by the North British Railway[ but staffed by, and in the style of, the Caledonian Railway. The connection allowed trains from the Perth direction to enter [[Tay ...More details
This station is the main station in Dundee. It is an island platform station, with two bay platforms at the west end, located in a deep dressed stone cutting. The station building, brick built, is of two storeys with the second floor at ground level. On the south side of the cutting five timber bridges cross from street level to top level offices. The station underwent a major facelift in 2017 ...More details