This railway is open. The line runs from Dundee to Arbroath. The line was built to a gauge of 5ft 6in which led to closure for re-gauging in later years. It originally employed right hand working.
It became a joint Caledonian Railway and North British Railway line in 1880 after the opening of the Tay Bridge [1st].
|/ /||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Barry Links Buddon Siding renamed Buddon Siding.
|/ /1836||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
|/ /1838||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Locomotives were supplied by Kinmond, Hutton and Steel of the Wallace Foundry, Blackness, Dundee.
|06/10/1838||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Arbroath Lady Loan to Dundee Craigie opened. Stations opened at: Arbroath Lady Loan, East Haven, Carnoustie [1st], Monifieth, Broughty Ferry, Dundee Craigie.
|03/06/1839||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Craigie to Roodyards opened. Craigie closed.
|02/04/1840||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Roodyards to Dundee Trades Lane opened. Roodyards closed.
|24/05/1847||Dundee and Arbroath Railway Forfar and Broughty Ferry Direct Railway|
Dundee to Barnhill opened.
|01/02/1848||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Arbroath (Lady Loan) closed.
|15/05/1848||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Ferry to Broughty Pier opened. Broughty Pier station opened.
|01/05/1851||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Ferry to Broughty Pier closed.
|01/05/1851||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Ferry Pier Junction to Broughty Pier opened.
|31/07/1851||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
|/ /1855||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Elliot Junction opened.
|14/12/1857||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Dundee East opened and Dundee Trades Lane closed.
|/ /1859||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
West Ferry opened.
|/ /1860||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Ferry Engine Shed and works closed and transferred to Arbroath.
|/ /1863||Dundee and Arbroath RailwayScottish North Eastern Railway|
Dundee and Arbroath Railway absorbed by Scottish North Eastern Railway.
|01/06/1878||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Ferry Pier Junction to Broughty Pier closed.
|/ /1880||Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway
North British Railway|
Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway authorised (Caledonian Railway and North British Railway). This involved the bulk of the former Dundee and Arbroath Railway between Camperdown Junction and near Arbroath station and a short portion of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway as far as St Vigeans Junction.
|/ /1880||Carmyllie Railway|
Becomes joint Caledonian Railway and North British Railway, when the Dundee and Arbroath Railway becomes the Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway.
|01/02/1880||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Ferry Pier Junction to Broughty Pier re-opened following the Tay Bridge [1st] disaster - Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway).
|19/06/1887||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Broughty Ferry Pier Junction to Broughty Pier closed to passengers.
|01/06/1893||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Barry Review Platform renamed Barry Links Buddon Siding.
|/ /1900||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Carnoustie rebuilt. (Often said to be relocated from west side of level crossing to east side - but maps show the station clearly on the east side before 1900.)
|/02/1901||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
|28/12/1906||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
A North British Railway express which had been travelling from Edinburgh Waverley to Aberdeen is blocked by snow at Arbroath and returns south. It strikes a local Caledonian Railway Arbroath to Dundee East train at Elliot Junction in a blizzard killing 22 passengers.
|/07/1910||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Buddon Siding renamed Buddon and opened to public
|01/09/1914||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Buddon closed to public and renamed Buddon Siding.
|01/05/1916||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
|01/01/1917||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
West Ferry and Elliot Junction closed.
|01/02/1919||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
West Ferry and Elliot Junction re-opened.
|01/04/1919||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Barry renamed Barry Links.
|01/01/1923||Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Line|
Jointly owned by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway and the London and North Eastern Railway.
|/ /1948||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Golf Street opened.
|/ /1957||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Buddon Siding closed.
|05/01/1959||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Dundee East to Camperdown Junction closed to passengers.
|18/06/1962||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Balmossie Halt opened.
|/ /1967||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Dundee East closed to freight.
|04/09/1967||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
West Ferry, East Haven, Elliot Junction stations closed.
|/07/1982||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Dundee Harbour sidings closed.
|16/05/1983||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Balmossie Halt renamed Balmossie, and Golf Street Halt renamed Golf Street.
These locations are along the line.
This was a terminus in the east of Dundee. It was originally the terminus of the Dundee and Arbroath Railway. The station became redundant as local lines closed and longer distance services transferred to Dundee station which was on a through line. With the opening of Dundee station, Dundee East was left on a short branch from Camperdown Junction.
This terminus was at the south end of Roodyards Road and was approached from the east. A part of the site may be under the East Camperdown Street road bridge. This terminus replaced the temporary Craigie terminus to the east and was in turn replaced by the extension to Dundee Trades Lane. ...More details
When the line was built this was countryside and seashore with very little immediately nearby. Craigie House was to the north. By 1900 some development had begun and was encouraged by the opening of the station. The temporary terminus Craigie was to the east by a level crossing. The road was lifted onto a bridge as traffic increased.
Craigie was a temporary terminus consisting of a platform erected by the Broughty Ferry Road level crossing near Craigie House. The house was to the north.
This was a two platform station to the west of Broughty Ferry. The main building, of two storeys, was at the west end of the westbound platform and there was a waiting shelter on the eastbound platform.
This is a two platform station with a level crossing at the east end and a large station building at the east end of the westbound platform. The former signal box has been reassembled, after a period of storage, on the westbound platform.
To the west were lines to (from north to south):
This is a two platform station. It has a lattice girder footbridge (C listed). An early station building, now a house, is on the eastbound platform. It is a single storey building with some Tudor styling, plain but with a finial over a gable facing the trackbed. Originally the building backed onto a goods shed before enlargement of the goods yard around 1900.
This station was opened to serve the military Barry Buddon Training Camp, which dates from around 1850.
This is a two platform station. It is west of Carnoustie. It has gained some notoriety due to the very low number of passengers using the station annually.
A relatively modern small station with two timber platforms and a footbridge to the west of Carnoustie. ...More details
This station was replaced in 1900 with the present Carnoustie station. The site of the first station was then given over entirely to the goods yard for the new station.
This signal box was between Carnoustie (to the west) and Easthaven (to the east). The box was on the south side of the line alongside a trailing crossover and siding making a trailing connection to the eastbound line. This sidings served the Panbride Bleachfield which had further sidings accessed by turnplates.
This is a two platform station on the east side of a level crossing. In 1900 it replaced an older station, on the same cramped site, the ticket office of which was to the west of the level crossing Carnoustie [1st] (see this link for notes about the older station location). To the west is a signal box, dating from 1898. This is on the south side of the line and just west of the level ...More details
This was a small two platform station. The main station building was on the eastbound platform.
This station was located at the junction for the Carmyllie Railway. This was initially a goods and minerals only line, opened 1854, the line opening to passengers in 1900. The junction allowed trains from the Arbroath direction access to the branch.
This station was located to the west of the harbour in Arbroath. A tramway connected with the harbour line of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway just to the east in the harbour. The tramway was not suitable for upgrade to a railway and a new Arbroath station (then Arbroath Joint) was opened on a connecting railway built by the Dundee and Arbroath Railway and Lady Loan closed.