This is a two platform station on the east side of a level crossing. In 1900 it replaced an older station, on the same cramped site, the ticket office of which was to the west of the level crossing Carnoustie [1st] (see this link for notes about the older station location). To the west is a signal box, dating from 1898. This is on the south side of the line and just west of the level crossing.
The station has a fine lattice footbridge and two modern waiting shelters.
It had two large station buildings with canopies, that on the eastbound platform (the main building dating from 1900) having a particularly attractive large canopy supported by columns, the ends of which were later rebuilt in a more functional style. The westbound station building was similar to others on the line, such as at Monifieth (now to be found preserved at Birkhill). Its canopy was supported by brackets out from the building, without columns. There was a stone building on the westbound platform, located east of the timber building. The back wall of this building still stands.
The buildings were lost in the 1980s, the westbound in the early 1980s and the eastbound in 1986.
To the north there is a Station Hotel.
The western end of Carnousie is well served by stations, Golf Street is not far to the west with Barry Links beyond it.
Arbroath West Links
| Panmure Works (Jute)|
Panmure Signal Box
Panbride Signal Box
Taymouth Engineering Works and Iron Foundry
Dowrie Works (Bitumen)
Elliot Metal Box Factory
Elliot Works 2nd
Dighty Water Viaduct
Carlungie Earth House
Ardestie Earth House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1900||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Carnoustie rebuilt. (Often said to be relocated from west side of level crossing to east side - but maps show the station clearly on the east side before 1900.)