Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Dundee and Arbroath Railway.
This station was replaced in 1900 with the present Carnoustie station. The site of the first station was then given over entirely to the goods yard for the new station.
Conventional wisdom is that the previous station was on the west side of the level crossing, however the OS map of 1858 does not show this. Instead a station with short platforms on the present site is shown with timber buildings on each platform and a stone building to the west of the level crossing. Probably the very first station of 1838 was to the west, but by 1858 it was to the east. It was not uncommon for station buildings to not be built by the platforms in the early days - the stations of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway are prime examples of this. It may have relocated during the re-gauging of around 1846. From the start this was a double track railway, but employing right hand running in the early days.
The stone station building remains (update - appallingly this was demolished in June 2018) to the west of the level crossing, on the north side of the line. This was probably the ticket and parcel office, with the waiting rooms on the platforms. The building could be of a similar age to that at Barry Links. An extension of the building west, to the disused loading bank, no longer exists. This portion of the building perhaps stood by the original eastbound platform.
This building was said to be the second oldest (after Newtyle [1st]) station building in Angus - this forgets Offset at Back of Law in Dundee and the buildings at Broughty Ferry and Monifieth.
A second stone building (railway cottage?) stood opposite this on the south side of the line, perhaps of a later date. Only the back wall of this building remains which was demolished in the 1990s. A water tank stood just to the west of this.
The goods yard was to the west of the level crossing. This was served, by reversal, from the eastbound line. A fan of lines radiated out from a turntable in 1858, but this was relaid as a series of curved sidings at a later date, accessed from a goods loop. This was also the goods yard for the later Carnoustie station.
A loading bank and siding remain.
To the south of the line, by the level crossing, is the signal box. This dates from 1898. A second box, Carnoustie West, was also provided just to the west in 1889. This box was on the south side of the line opposite the goods yard turn out. The west box was closed in 1923 when subsumed by the main Carnoustie box.
The station was replaced in 1900 by the Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway, owned by both the Caledonian Railway and North British Railway.
Carnousie Golf Links
Carnousie Golf Club
The name Carnousie applies to the station and its environs now. When opened, Carnoustie was very small and there was no golf club. The station was opened at the boundary between Carnousie Feus (west) and Newton of Panbride (east).
The Ordnance Survey name book of 1857 describes the station thus
At the south west Corner of Newton of Panbride village. A very neat Station Situated in Newton of Panbride. There are refreshment rooms attached.
The buildings, where erected, are of neat appearance, being in the Gothic style of architecture. That at Carnoustie is a small cottage, a building suited to the traffic of the place.
Arbroath West Links
| Panmure Works (Jute)|
Panmure Signal Box
Taymouth Engineering Works and Iron Foundry
Panbride Signal Box
Dowrie Works (Bitumen)
Elliot Works 2nd
Elliot Metal Box Factory
Dighty Water Viaduct
Carlungie Earth House
Ardestie Earth House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|