Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Dundee and Newtyle Railway.
This was the northern terminus of the Dundee and Newtyle Railway. The terminus building still stands. It is one of the oldest stations in Britain and probably the oldest trainshed in existence.
The station was at the north end of the Hatton Incline, the line descending to the station. To the east was the Newtyle Bone Works. Newtyle was a planned town/village and is to the west.
Opinion varies as to whether this building opened with the line, it may have been built shortly afterwards (around 1836). Given the extent of the facilities at Dundee, it may well have opened with the line and was the rebuilt several times.
It is a long trainshed with rubble walls and stone arched entries at either end. Offices, which were on the east side adjoining the shed, do not survive. The appearance probably dates from the conversion into a goods shed as early views show a building with a very similar roof but without the stone arches at either end. The single storey extension, outwith the trainshed, to the north almost certainly a later addition.
To the east, at the south end, was the Newtyle Chemical Works (Newtyle Bone Works) served by turnplate and a siding from the north. At the north end, on the east side, was a loading bank. This layout dates from the extension of the line.
The line was extended west and east by two railways, the Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway and the Newtyle, Eassie and Glammis Railway respectively.
A deviation, avoiding the incline, was opened to the west in 1868 and the station closed to passengers, a new Newtyle [2nd] station opening nearby. The line south was closed and lifted but the line northwards was retained and the station was converted into a goods shed. A platform was added on the west side, partly inside the trainshed, and entry arches formed at either end. At the north end an extension was added outside the trainshed, the platform extending alongside. Once again opinion varies, this may not be the same building, but on the same footprint.
Adjoining buildings on the east side, the ticket office and other facilities, have been lost but the main building remains intact.
The line remained open to Newtyle [1st] from Alyth Junction until 1964.
The building has survived complete closure of the line and the approach line to the north was lifted, the former approach now being housing.
Alyth Junction [Bay platform]
Alyth Junction [Branch platform]
Washington [N and CAR]
| Newtyle Mill|
Hatton Engine House
Meigle Sculptured Stone Museum
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|