Meigle [1st] (1861-1876)
Alyth Junction (1876-1967)
Opened on the Scottish Midland Junction Railway.
Opened on the Alyth Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was originally a two platform station at the end of the road from Newtyle close to Nethermill and the Belmont Arms with goods facilities to its west, north side of the line. The station expanded with a new bay platform on the opening of the Alyth Railway and a further platform on the new flyover from Nethermill Junction to become a four platform station.
After the opening of the Alyth Railway the name should perhaps have changed, that line having a station named Fullarton which was closer to Meigle. The name Meigle also applies to the district which perhaps allowed some leeway and the branch station was roughly half way between Fullarton and Meigle. Not long after the Caledonian Railway owned both the main line and branch Meigle was renamed Alyth Junction.
Alyth Junction [Bay platform]
Alyth Junction [Branch platform]
Washington [N and CAR]
Other railway and industry locations
Hatton Engine House
Meigle Sculptured Stone Museum
Ardler West Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|04/09/1967||Scottish Midland Junction Railway|
Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway
Newtyle, Eassie and Glammiss Railway
Stanley Junction to Kinnaber Junction closed to passengers. Coupar Angus, Alyth Junction, Forfar and Bridge of Dun stations closed.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Tayside's Last Days of Steam
|The Railways of Strathmore (Perth, Forfar and Brechin)|