Auchterhouse [2nd] (1860-1955)
Opened on the Dundee and Newtyle Deviations (Scottish Central Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a two platform station with a passing loop on a single track line. The main station building was at the west end of the westbound platform and there was a signal box (1892) midway along the eastbound.
There was a goods yard south of the station, approached from the east.
The station replaced Auchterhouse [1st] which was immediately to its north. The station required replacement as the old station was bypassed by a new alignment which avoided the Balbeuchly Incline in 1860.
The station closed to passengers in 1955. The goods yard was a terminus, from Dundee, from 1958 as the line north was closed. The yard, box and line closed in 1965.
The site remained vacant and was used for tipping for many years after closure. It is now a house. The nearby road bridge over the west end of the station remains intact.
Alyth Junction [Bay platform]
Baldovan and Downfield
Alyth Junction [Branch platform]
Other railway and industry locations
Auchrie Quarry Siding
Rose Mills Chemicals
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|