This was a three platform station. With an island platform on the west side - the outer face being for the Blairgowrie branch and down platform (with canopied building) and down platform (timber building) on the east side. Both sides of the station had goods loops. Access to the platforms was by a large footbridge over the goods loops on the west and east sides of the station.
The goods yard was on the west side of the station and access from the north. This was grouped into two sets of sidings - a northern set with goods shed and southern with loading banks and crane. Coupar Angus used to deal with a heavy annual potato harvest.
The station was large enough to require two signal boxes - north (north side of the line at the east end) and south (south of the line at the west end), and in addition beyond this to the west was a gate box (north side of the line east of the level crossing).
To the south of the station the mainline and Blairgowrie branch line ran westwards in parallel to the point of separation, south of the Queen Street level crossing. The curve of the branch was originally severe, leading to derailments. It was relaid on a less tight curve.
In 1939 the south box and gate box were replaced with a single new box, on the south side of the line at the level crossing. This was also known as south box. The box was a variant of the LMS Type 12, but without the bay window.
The branch to Blairgowrie closed in 1966.
The station and line closed to passengers in 1967. The railway was singled with the eastbound line being closed and lifted. The north box closed. The goods yard remained open.
The south box survived passenger closure as it controlled the level crossing. It closed in 1982 when the line closed completely. The box remained in place following line closure for a few years. The goods yard also survived passenger closure, handling agricultural lime.
The platforms remained until the 1990s before being cleared. The site is now partly built over. The A94 occupies the trackbed going west.
Stormont Loch Halt
Washington [N and CAR]
Alyth Junction [Branch platform]
Alyth Junction [Bay platform]
| Isla Viaduct|
Hatton Engine House
Ardler West Level Crossing
Meikleour Beech Hedge
Meigle Sculptured Stone Museum
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1846||Newtyle and Coupar Angus RailwayScottish Midland Junction Railway|
Line sold to the Scottish Midland Junction Railway. It was then closed and upgraded to standard gauge and two tracks between Coupar Angus and Ardler Junction. (Alternative date: 1845).
|/ /1850||Scottish Midland Junction Railway|
Keep a locomotive at Coupar Angus for the Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway). (No shed building at Coupar Angus is known of.)
|01/08/1855||Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)|
Line opened for passengers from Coupar Angus to Blairgowrie.
|21/08/1855||Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)|
Line opened to goods from Coupar Angus to Blairgowrie.
|10/01/1955||Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)|
Blairgowrie to Coupar Angus (excluded) closed to passengers.
|06/12/1965||Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)|
Blairgowrie to Coupar Angus (excluded) closed to freight.
|04/09/1967||Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway|
Coupar Angus to Ardler Junction closed to passengers.
|04/09/1967||Scottish Midland Junction Railway|
Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway
Newtyle, Eassie and Glammiss Railway
Stanley Junction to Kinnaber Junction closed to passengers. Coupar Angus, Alyth Junction, Forfar and Bridge of Dun stations closed.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Tayside's Last Days of Steam
|The Railways of Strathmore (Perth, Forfar and Brechin)|