Blairgowrie

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Blairgowrie (1855-1955)

Opened on the Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway).


Description

This was a one platform terminus with a timber overall roof spanning from the two storey station building to the goods shed. This was extended down the platform as an awning.

After closure the two storey station house and one storey station frontage (slightly similar to that at Brechin) were demolished around 1980.

There were goods facilities in two yards, one to the immediate west of the passenger station and another with loading banks and a two road engine shed south of the station (Blairgowrie Shed), also on the west side.

Improvements and expansion was made to the track layout and goods facilities around 1891. The signal box (1891) was on the west side of the line to the south at the station throat.

The line closed to passengers in 1955. The box closed afterwards in 1961. Complete closure was in 1965.

After closure much of the station was lost to new roads and an industrial estate, but a two road engine shed removed. This was removed in 2005.


Tags

Terminus

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67