Ardler Junction (1861-1952)
Opened on the Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway.
Opened on the Scottish Midland Junction Railway.
This was the junction between the Strathmore mainline Perth - Forfar [2nd] - Kinnaber Junction and the curve from the Dundee and Newtyle Railway. This allowed through running from Dundee West to Coupar Angus and Blairgowrie.
The curve was originally part of the Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway. The Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway was closed in 1847 for reconstruction as a standard gauge double track main line railway as part of the Scottish Midland Junction Railway. The curve from Ardler Junction to Nethermill was not converted, the former Newtyle, Eassie and Glamiss Railway being used instead.
With the opening of the Alyth Railway the Glamis curve was closed and the Ardler Junction curve re-opened. Trains for the east and Alyth reversed at Ardler station.
The junction was double, although the Newtyle route rapidly dropped to a single track just east of the junction. The box was on the south side of the junction. It was rebuilt in 1913 after a fire.
There was a serious crash at Ardler Junction in 1948 between a southbound postal on the mainline and a Dundee West to Blairgowrie local.
The junction closed in 1952. The formation still exists, in use as farm tracks. A lineside building still stands on the south side of the former junction.
Washington [N and CAR]
Alyth Junction [Branch platform]
Alyth Junction [Bay platform]
Other railway and industry locations
Hatton Engine House
Ardler West Level Crossing
Meigle Sculptured Stone Museum
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Tayside's Last Days of Steam
|The Railways of Strathmore (Perth, Forfar and Brechin)|