This line between Alyth and Alyth Junction (Meigle) is closed. Today the nearest station is in Dundee.
The line was known as 'The Trappie Railway'. (Possibly a nickname which survived from the navvies - 'the trap' was a popular pub, the Banff Arms Hotel in Alyth.)
This railway, promoted in 1858, was built to link the village of Alyth to the railway network. By this date, nearby Blairgowrie already had a railway (1855) as did Kirriemuir (also 1855) and both were served by branches from the main line.
Act receives Royal ascent.
Brick single road shed opened at Alyth, Alyth Shed. (Later a sub shed of Dundee West Shed.) A 40ft turntable was later added.
Scottish North Eastern Railway
The Alyth Railway is leased by the Scottish North Eastern Railway
Scottish North Eastern Railway
Lease of the Alyth Railway by the Scottish North Eastern Railway authorised.
|Dundee and Newtyle Railway Dundee and Newtyle Deviations (Dundee and Perth Railway)
New line from Newtyle Junction to new platforms at Alyth Junction and line passing north of Alyth Junction to meet the Alyth Railway opened (the construction was known as the 'Forfarshire Works'). This replaced the earlier Newtyle and Glammis Railway curve north of Newtyle.
Authorisation to buy further land to expand Alyth station.
The Alyth Railway agrees to purchase by the Caledonian Railway.
Alyth Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
| Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)
Blairgowrie Shed and Alyth Shed closed. Blairgowrie Shed closed, but not demolished. A sub-shed of Dundee West Shed. Alyth Shed closed, but continues to be used until 1951. By this date the turntable is 42ft.
|Dundee and Newtyle Railway
Dundee and Newtyle Deviations (Dundee and Perth Railway)
Dundee West to Alyth passenger train withdrawn. Alyth Junction to Newtyle [2nd] essentially closed to passengers until 1952 when Ardler Junction to Newtyle [2nd] is closed and Dundee West to Blairgowrie trains diverted via Alyth Junction.
Alyth town to Alyth Junction closed to passengers. Alyth Shed track lifted.
Line becomes 'one engine in steam'.
Alyth Shed still stood, although out of use since 1942.
Alyth town to Alyth Junction closed to freight.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This was a single platform station to the south of the level crossing just outside Meigle, to its east, and west of nearby Fullarton.
Meigle [2nd] closed when a new station opened north of the level crossing. The new station was also a single platform station. There was a timber station building.
This bridge was built with stone abutments and iron girders, a single span of 60ft. The bridge required strengthening before the line opened.
This skew bridge, carrying the Alyth Railway branch, was built with stone abutments, a pier and iron girders. It had two girder spans, of 30ft and 82ft.
This was a single platform station with the platform on the west side of the line. There was a loop with a siding serving a loading bank at the south end.
Initially a siding in a cutting, Porterockney Siding serving Pitcrocknie Farm to the north, a halt was opened here opposite the siding on the south side of the line.
A locomotive shed was provided at Alyth with the opening of the Alyth branch in 1861 from Meigle [1st] (later Alyth Junction). The original shed appears to have been on the south side of the line just east of the station, reached by reversal from the platform line. It was a short brick or stone one road building. A turntable was later added and more goods sidings added to the south ...More details
This was a single platform terminus with a timber overall roof braced between the station building and the goods shed. This was removed before closure.