Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)

Introduction

This line is closed. In its day it was busy both with tourist traffic but also with the seasonal fruit harvest for jam.

The single track branch line track ran parallel to the main line of the Scottish Midland Junction Railway (giving the appearance of a three track line) until it reached Coupar Angus station.






Dates

  /  /1846Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)
Act authorises a branch to Blairgowrie. (Not built at this time.)
  /  /1850Scottish Midland Junction Railway
Keep a locomotive at Coupar Angus for the Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway). (No shed building at Coupar Angus is known of.)
  /  /1853Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)
New Act authorises a branch to Blairgowrie.
  /08/1855Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)
Wooden shed, the original Blairgowrie Shed, at Blairgowrie opened.
01/08/1855Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)
Line opened for passengers from Coupar Angus to Blairgowrie.
21/08/1855Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)
Line opened to goods from Coupar Angus to Blairgowrie.
  /  /1860Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)
New two road Blairgowrie Shed built in stone.
  /  /1878Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)
Approval to buy further land to expand Blairgowrie station.
  /  /1887Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)
42ft turntable installed at Blairgowrie Shed.
  /01/1942Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)
Blairgowrie Shed closed, but not demolished. A sub-shed of Dundee West Shed.
10/01/1955Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)
Blairgowrie to Coupar Angus (excluded) closed to passengers.
06/12/1965Blairgowrie Branch (Scottish Midland Junction Railway)
Blairgowrie to Coupar Angus (excluded) closed to freight.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was a three platform station. With an island platform on the west side - the outer face being for the Blairgowrie branch and down platform (with canopied building) and down platform (timber building) on the east side. Both sides of the station had goods loops. Access to the platforms was by a large footbridge over the goods loops on the west and east sides of the station.
...

More details

See also
Scottish Midland Junction Railway
Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway
Ex-Caledonian 0-4-4T no 55213 about to bring the branch train from Blairgowrie onto the main line just to the west of Coupar Angus station on 20 July ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1953
The 7.15am ex-Glasgow Buchanan Street arrives at Coupar Angus on 20 July 1953 behind Jubilee 45673 Keppel. Awaiting departure time alongside is ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1953
Perth based Black 5 4-6-0 no 45470 runs north east through Coupar Angus on the first day of August 1953 with a down special. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 01/08/1953
Fowler 4F 0-6-0 no 44314 about to enter Coupar Angus station from the west on 20 July 1953. The train is the local branch service from Blairgowrie. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1953
4 of 19 images. more


Looking south east across the River Isla in the summer of 2007. The old piers once carried the Blairgowrie branch south towards its junction with the ...
John Furnevel 12/07/2007
Approximately one and a half miles after leaving the Caledonian Railways's Strathearn main line at Coupar Angus, the Blairgowrie branch crossed the ...
John Furnevel 12/07/2007
Remains of the bridge that carried the Blairgowrie branch over the River Isla north of Coupar Angus. Photographed on 12 July 2007 looking south. ...
John Furnevel 12/07/2007
The remains of the Isla Viaduct on the Blairgowrie branch in July 2007. Surviving piers seen from the north bank of the river looking towards Coupar ...
John Furnevel 12/07/2007
4 of 5 images. more




This was a single platform station on the single track Blairgowrie Branch. It was immediately south of a level crossing.
...

More details


This was a one platform terminus with a timber overall roof spanning from the two storey station building to the goods shed. This was extended down the platform as an awning.
...

More details
View south in Blairgowrie from the site of the former station. ...
Alan Cormack 06/04/2017
Ex-Caledonian 0-4-4T no 55217 arrives at Blairgowrie on 1 November 1952 with the branch train from Coupar Angus. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 01/11/1952
55217 about to depart from Blairgowrie in November 1952 with the branch train to Coupar Angus. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 01/11/1952
Just beyond where the road stops in Blairgowrie the original alignment continues south. ...
Alan Cormack 06/04/2017
4 of 8 images. more