Scottish Midland Junction Railway

Introduction

This railway is partly open from Perth to Stanley Junction. The company provided a service between Perth and Forfar [2nd].






Dates

  /  /1845[Scottish Midland Junction Railway]
Act receives Royal assent
  /  /1846[Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway]
[Scottish Midland Junction Railway]
Line sold to the Scottish Midland Junction Railway. It was then closed and upgraded to standard gauge and two tracks between Coupar Angus and Ardler Junction. (Alternative date: 1845).
  /  /1846[Newtyle Eassie and Glamiss Railway]
[Scottish Midland Junction Railway]
Line sold to the Scottish Midland Junction Railway. It was then closed and upgraded to standard gauge and two tracks between Coupar Angus and Ardler Junction. (Alternative date: 1845).
  /  /1850[Scottish Midland Junction Railway]
Keep a locomotive at Coupar Angus for the [Blairgowrie Branch]. No shed at Coupar Angus is known of.
  /  /1856Aberdeen RailwayScottish Midland Junction RailwayScottish North Eastern Railway
The Aberdeen Railway merged with Scottish Midland Junction Railway to become Scottish North Eastern Railway.
  /  /1962Denburn Valley Line Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)
A4 Pacifics introduced on the Aberdeen Joint to Glasgow Buchanan Street 3 hour Grampian run.
03/09/1966Denburn Valley Line Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway)
A4 Pacifics from Aberdeen Joint to Glasgow Buchanan Street withdrawn.
04/09/1967Scottish Midland Junction Railway
Perth (Stanley Junction) to Laurencekirk (Kinnaber Junction) closed to passengers.
04/09/1967Scottish Midland Junction Railway
Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway
Newtyle, Eassie and Glammiss Railway
Aberdeen Railway
Stanley Junction to Kinnaber Junction closed to passengers. Coupar Angus, Alyth Junction, Forfar and Bridge of Dun stations closed.
05/06/1982Scottish Midland Junction Railway
Line closed between Stanley Junction (excluded) and the former Forfar North Junction. On the last day two passenger trains "Forfar Farewell" are run. Some days later a freight may have run to recover wagons still on the line.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This is a superb major station with a tudor styled building by William Tite and large glazed trainshed situated on the western edge of the Perth town centre. To the south lines from Glasgow Queen Street High Level and Edinburgh Waverley meet at Hilton Junction and in the station lines north to Inverness and north east to Dundee and Aberdeen divide. Today it is an eight ...

More details
View from the Highland Chieftain as it is dispatched northward in June 2016. A group of enthusiast passengers on board are enjoying a leisure trip ...
Colin McDonald 04/06/2016
Class 170 170470 arriving into Platform 1 at Perth at 1538 on Thursday 23 August 2018 with the 1513hrs Dundee-Glasgow service.
...
David Prescott 23/08/2018
The 'Royal Scotsman' seen at Perth. ...
John Yellowlees 19/10/2017
Looking north from the Edinburgh Road bridge to the St Leonards bridge at Perth. The three sidings on the right are the former carriage sidings used ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

A Glasgow to Inverness service heads off past the site of the north ticket platform at Perth on 19 December 2018. Although the platform was presumably ...
David Panton 19/12/2018
Though the (presumably wooden) platform itself has long gone the more solid steps down to it survive, along with their metal arches which I imagine ...
David Panton 05/12/2017
Steps down to the northern ticket platform 'Glasgow Road'. The Highland shed was to the left and the Earlsdyke Coal Depot was on the right. Looking ...
Ewan Crawford 13/07/2003

This shed was later known as Perth North. This was the Highland Railway shed in Perth, north of the Glasgow Road/York Place road bridge just north of the station and on the west side of the line. It was accessed from the north, single ended and consisted of two four road sheds. It was owned by the Highland, despite being seven miles south of the Highland main line at Stanley Junction.
...

More details




This goods yard was on the north side of the Perth High Street road bridge. It was located on the west side of the line, both goods lines and passenger lines, and Perth Goods [CR]. The yard was used by the Highland Railway.
...

More details


This was the Caledonian Railway's main goods yard in Perth and was chiefly opened when Perth station was hugely remodelled in the mid 1880s. The yard was shared with the Highland Railway. It was later known as Perth North Goods. The yard no longer exists. It was described by Biddle and Nock thus:
...

More details
View, from a passing train, of Perth Goods in late 1984. Just visible beyond the wagons is the body of 40173. The bogies had been removed to build ...
Bill Roberton //1984

These goods sidings were in the north of Perth, just to the north of [[Perth Goods CR ]], their parent station. The sidings were on the east side of the line and approached from Balhousie Junction, just to the north. The line for the yard approached down the east side of Balhousie signal box, the main line from which these branched down the west side of the same box.
...

More details

This signal box, just south of the Crieff Road bridge in Perth, was located on the east side of the line. It was just under a mile north of Perth station. The box was east of the main lines with goods lines passing round its east.
...

More details
Looking south towards Perth. The sidings of Perth goods yard are to the left and to the right are an oil depots sidings. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

A halt related to Muirton Park football ground, St Johnstone FC, which was to the east.
...

More details
Looking east to Polmaise. The location from which the camera was taken is now the A91. The line is closed and lifted. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Looking east at Muirton on the Polmaise colliery line. The embankment of the A91 now crosses the now lifted and closed line. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

B1 4-6-0 61306 Mayflower passes the former Perth New Yard, with a 'Steam Dreams' charter from Inverness to Fort William, on 13th May 2019.
...
Bill Roberton 13/05/2019
Jubilee class 5690 'Leander', in steam at Perth New Yard for the Open Day on 13 April 1985.
...
Bill Roberton 13/04/1985
A4 60009 on display at Perth New Yard for the Open Day on 13 April 1985.
...
Bill Roberton 13/04/1985
Track panels stored at Perth New Yard. ...
John Yellowlees 24/04/2019

This junction was in the north of Perth where the Perth, Almond Valley and Methven Railway met the older Scottish Midland Junction Railway. Trains from the branch could run south to Perth. The main line was double track, the branch single. The signal box was on the east side of the line. The junction was a little complicated as there was a looped siding on the west side of the line ...

More details
Pickersgill 4-4-0 no 54485 passing Almond Valley Junction northbound on 6 April 1953 with a Blair Atholl goods. [Ref query 13523] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/04/1953
Black 5 44972 pilots classmate 44978 through Almond Valley Junction on 6 April 1953 with the down Royal Highlander. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/04/1953
Almond Valley Junction viewed from an Inverness bound train in 1990. The track to the left, the remains of the Almond Valley line, was the north end ...
Ewan Crawford //1990
Activity at Dewars siding, just north of Perth, in 1973 (photographed by Larry Addley) showing the Ruston shunting locomotive (driven by Roy Green) on ...
Gary Straiton Collection //1973

North of Perth at Denmarkfield is a house sandwiched between the A9 and railway. The architecture suggests perhaps railway ownership, perhaps even a planned station which never opened.
...

More details
Accelerating out of Perth passing Denmarkfield. River Tay on left. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Passing the (?) never opened station at Denmarkfield. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This was a two platform station. The main building, a single storey, was on the up platform. The goods yard was to the north, east side, accessed from the south. ...

More details
1S15, Highland Chieftain heads north at Luncarty, four miles past Perth bound for the Highland Capital, Inverness. ...
Brian Forbes 26/05/2007
60163 Tornado passing Luncarty on the way to Inverness. ...
John Robin 19/05/2012
Grab shot of viaduct at Luncarty from the southbound A9. ...
Brian Forbes 22/04/2007
Looking north over Luncarty station. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This was a two platform station originally. There was a goods yard to both the north and south of the station, both on the west side of the line and approached from the north.
...

More details
Ex-Caledonian 4-4-0 54467 passing Strathord station on 6 April 1953 with a southbound train from Blair Atholl. (Strathord station had closed to ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/04/1953
Surviving platform building at Strathord in 1992, looking north. ...
Bill Roberton //1992
Last remaining building at Strathord in 1991. To the right were the two through platforms. This was the southern terminus of the Bankfoot light ...
Ewan Crawford //1991

This station was 1/4 of a mile south of Stanley Junction, which replaced it in 1857.
...

More details
Six car 170 set forming the 1240 Inverness - Edinburgh has left the single line section at Stanley and is heading downhill towards Perth. ...
Brian Forbes 02/09/2008

This was a three platform station and junction. It was not convenient for the village, being on its northern edge.
...

More details
The Inverness - Oxenholme leg of the Great Britain IX railtour, hauled by 44871 with 47760 on the rear enters the double track at Stanley running ...
Bill Roberton 03/05/2016
Jubilee 4-6-0 no 45728 'Defiance' runs south through Stanley Junction on 6 April 1953 at the head of the up 'Bon Accord'.
See
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/04/1953
Colas 60087 enters the double track at Stanley with the 6Z31 Inverness - Oxwellmains empty cement on 30 March. ...
Bill Roberton 30/03/2016
47562 passes Stanley Junction box with a southbound train in 1990. ...
Ewan Crawford //1990

This was a short lived station. The station had two platforms and a siding on the north side, approached from the east. It was a very rural location.
...

More details
View west at Ballathie in 1996. This was a short lived station (1848-1868) which was retained as a siding until 1964. The loading bank is in the ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
North East view to Cargill from overbridge near Ballathie Hotel, east of the former station. ...
Brian Forbes 08/05/2007
View towards Stanley Junction, from overbridge at Ballathie Hotel, east of the former station. The view looks to the former station. ...
Brian Forbes 08/05/2007


This is a disused double track viaduct west of the former Cargill station and east of the former Ballathie station. It crosses the River Tay.
...

More details
The most notable engineering structure on the Caledonian Railway's Strathmore route was Cargill viaduct, Perthshire, which carried the line over the ...
John Furnevel 13/11/2005
This is the bridge which carried the line from Stanley Junction to Coupar Angus. It spans the River Tay just west of Cargill. Pedestrian Access is ...
Ian Millar 25/04/2017
The Strathspey Railway Association's 'Strathmore Express' about to cross Cargill Viaduct on 25 May 1974 [see image 5778] ...
Bill Roberton 25/05/1974
Autumn scene at Cargill viaduct, Perthshire, spanning the River Tay on the former Caledonian main line between Stanley Junction and Coupar Angus. The ...
John Furnevel 13/11/2005

This was a two platform station with a small goods yard to the west, on the north side of the line and accessed from the east. The station was east of Cargill Viaduct. The main station building was on the eastbound platform.
...

More details
The former Cargill station house in October 2008. ...
Brian Forbes 03/10/2008

This was a two platform station. The main station building, now a house, was on the down (northbound) platform. There was a goods yard to the north, accessed from the east end of the station.
...

More details
Station House at Burrelton, now in private ownership. This view faces south with the former platforms (now removed) to the rear. ...
Brian Forbes 02/11/2007
Looking west from the old station towards Perth. Is that ewe I see? ...
Brian Forbes 02/11/2007

This was a three platform station. With an island platform on the west side - the outer face being for the Blairgowrie branch and down platform (with canopied building) and down platform (timber building) on the east side. Both sides of the station had goods loops. Access to the platforms was by a large footbridge over the goods loops on the west and east sides of the station.
...

More details
Fowler 4F 0-6-0 no 44314 about to enter Coupar Angus station from the west on 20 July 1953. The train is the local branch service from Blairgowrie. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1953
A train from Blairgowrie approaching Coupar Angus off the branch in April 1953. The locomotive is Fowler 4F 0-6-0 no 44258. [Ref query 16 March 2019] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/04/1953
Coupar Angus looking to Aberdeen from the former platforms. The view is of a new development; more former railway land lost forever. ...
Alan Cormack 06/04/2017
Totem from Coupar Angus, closed September 1967. ...
David Panton //

This was the junction between the Strathmore mainline Perth - Forfar [2nd] - Kinnaber Junction and the curve from the Dundee and Newtyle Railway. This allowed through running from Dundee West to Coupar Angus and Blairgowrie.
...

More details
The signal box at Ardler Junction, photographed looking north east along the Strathmore line towards Forfar in the summer of 1953. The route to Dundee ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 19/07/1953
A misty morning at Ardler Junction looking east in 1997. The main line towards Forfar ran straight ahead with the route south to Dundee via Newtyle ...
Ewan Crawford //1997

This was originally a two platform station at the end of the road from Newtyle close to Nethermill and the Belmont Arms with goods facilities to its west, north side of the line. The station expanded with a new bay platform on the opening of the Alyth Railway and a further platform on the new flyover from Nethermill Junction to become a four platform station.
...

More details
Alyth Junction looking to the junction in 1996. The platform on the left is the 1868 alignment from Newtyle to Alyth Junction, the platform on the ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
View north east from the road bridge at Alyth Junction on 12 July 2007. ...
John Furnevel 12/07/2007
Trackbed and remains at Alyth Junction on 12 July 2007. View is North East through the road bridge carrying the B954 north towards Alyth. ...
John Furnevel 12/07/2007
The remains of the goods yard just west of the main station at Alyth Junction in the summer of 2007, showing the old crane plinth and pivot, with the ...
John Furnevel 12/07/2007

Scotch Gauge


...

More details

This was a two platform station on the Strathmore main line. The main station building was on the westbound / southbound platform.
...

More details
Fireplace in the former signalbox at Glamis. ...
Bruce Dunn //
The abandoned signal box at Glamis looking towards Forfar in 1996. This box was pretty difficult to access - the steps had been removed. The box ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
View from the former eastbound platform at Glamis looking east. ...
Bruce Dunn //
The signalbox at Glamis station, looking east. ...
Bruce Dunn //

A single siding on the westbound line between Glamis, to the west, and Kirriemuir Junction. It was reached by reversal.
...

More details
On the Strathmore line in February 2018. The railway (looking towards Glamis and Perth) ran towards and through the cutting. The yard at Drumgley was ...
Gary Straiton 17/02/2018

This was a station, exchange platform and junction. A very low platform stood in the 'V' of the junction with a building, probably a railway employee's house. The platform had one face on the main line and another on the branch.
...

More details
Old bridge at Kirriemuir Junction ...
Bruce Dunn //
Relic at Krriemuir Junction. ...
Bruce Dunn //
Abandonded platform at Kirriemuir Junction ...
Bruce Dunn //
Remains at Kirriemuir Junction ...
Bruce Dunn //

This was an important station on the Perth to Aberdeen main line through Strathmore. A number of lines converged on the station and it not only had two main through platforms but bays for the branch lines. The station replaced the Forfar Playfield terminus of the line from Arbroath, which was closer the town centre but not able to be included in a through route.
...

More details
The down Granite City stands at Forfar in pouring rain on 20 July 1953. At the head of the train is Compound 4-4-0 no 40939. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1953
Totem from Forfar station (closed September 1967). ...
David Panton //
A Brechin - Dundee train taking on water at Forfar station on 2 May 1949. The locomotive is ex-Caledonian 0-4-4T no 15230. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 02/05/1949
View to Aberdeen at Forfar in 1996. A single portion of platform remained - a short apparently island platform. This was on the bridge over North ...
Ewan Crawford //1996

This junction was to the west of Forfar [2nd station, not so much south as more north west, indeed it was further north than Forfar North Junction which was east of Forfar [1st]. However in railway terms it was south of the station as it was closer to Perth.
...

More details
Here is a picture of the old Road bridge at Forfar, on the A926 near the junction with the A90 on the old Strathmore route. ...
Alan Cormack 02/11/2016
Bridge 200 on the old Scottish Midland Junction Railway from Kirriemuir to Forfar. This line now part of farmland ...
Colin Harkins 31/08/2006
Forfar South Junction. C.R. 0.4.4T diverges with the daily goods for Brechin. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/04/1953
Bridge 200 on the old Scottish Midland Junction Railway from Kirriemuir to Forfar. Notice the old Tele-Communications post at Bridge 200 ...
Colin Harkins 31/08/2006

Layout


...

More details
Ex-Caledonian 4-4-0 54450 with a down goods passing Forfar North Junction in April 1953.
See query ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/04/1953
View north east at Forfar North Junction in 1996. The main line north to Aberdeen runs ahead and the infilled cutting of the line to Broughty Ferry is ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
The Station is well gone... an industrial area covers the old station site. The Bridge has four spans. [Railscot note: this bridge has since been ...
Colin Harkins 31/08/2006
Loco variety at Forfar North Junction. C.R. 0.4.4T 55193 on the goods from Brechin. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/04/1953