Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Scottish Midland Junction Railway.
This shed was later known as Perth North. This was the Highland Railway shed in Perth, north of the Glasgow Road/York Place road bridge just north of the station and on the west side of the line. It was accessed from the north, single ended and consisted of two four road sheds. It was owned by the Highland, despite being seven miles south of the Highland main line at Stanley Junction.
The shed had originally belonged to the Scottish North Eastern Railway until 1866 when it was merged into the Caledonian Railway and the locomotives reassigned to Perth South Shed. It became a wagon works until being taken over by the Highland Railway.
The shed had a dormer window at its east end, looking out over the Glasgow Road Ticket Platform.
The shed closed as a shed in 1937/8 with locomotives transferred to the rebuilt Perth South Shed. It remained in use as a storage site until 1956.
By 1962, the re-signalling of the area, the site was a signals and telegraph base depot. The west four road shed had lost its roof. The layout was altered, with a loading bank at the north end where the turntable had been located.
After tracklifting the remaining parts of the building had other uses until the early 1990s.
The site is now a supermarket and other units.
Perth Glasgow Road
Perth Glasgow Road [Temporary]
Perth Princes Street
Bridge of Earn [2nd]
Bridge of Earn [1st]
| Perth Central Goods|
Glasgow Road Junction
Earlsdyke Coal Depot
Perth Carriage Sidings
Perth Rowntree Mackintosh Siding
Perth North Goods
Perth Holding Sidings
Pullars Highland House
Orchardbank Signal Box
Perth Goods [CR] [1st]
Wallace Works (Linens)
Dewer's Bonded Warehousing
Perth Station Hotel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Tayside's Last Days of Steam
|The Railways of Strathmore (Perth, Forfar and Brechin)|