Also known as Friarton. The shed was originally single ended approached from the north. It was modified to become a double ended and approached from both north and south. It was replaced with a new building to the south in 1938 and the old shed demolished. The new shed was approached from the north.
This was a large 10 road shed. It was located south of Perth station, west side of the line on the opposite side from Friarton Junction, the junction for Perth Harbour, and north of Moncrieffe Tunnel. Track continued through the shed to short sidings on the south side, allowing redundant locomotives to be stored south of the shed.
British Railways assigned the code 63A and sub sheds Aberfeldy Shed, Blair Atholl Shed, Crieff Sheds and Forfar Shed.
Closure dates vary - most sources say 1967, some 1969. The site of the original shed is now a supermarket and the later shed site is an industrial estate (a Royal Mail centre).
A part of the building survives. The stores, machine shop and other workshops were located between the 8 road engine shed to the east and 2 road repair shop to the west.
Perth Princes Street
Perth Glasgow Road [Temporary]
Perth Glasgow Road
Bridge of Earn [2nd]
Bridge of Earn [1st]
| Friarton Junction|
Perth South Junction
Perth Railway Works
Perth St Leonards Bridge
Craigie Bridge Junction
St Leonards Bridge Junction
Perth Power Box
Perth Works Sidings
King James VI Golf Club
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1935||Scottish Central Railway|
Stirling Shed [CR] coded 29B from Perth South Shed.
|/ /1948||Scottish Central Railway|
Stirling Shed [CR] coded 63B from Perth South Shed.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)