This was a two platform station with a passing loop. It was the first station north of Stanley Junction on the former Inverness and Perth Junction Railway, later the Highland Railway.
There is a level crossing at the south east end and a goods yard on the west side, accessed from the north west. A siding ran from the north west end to the Murthly Asylum.
The station was originally a single platform, later the northbound platform. The loop was installed in 1867 and the siding laid into the asylum.
The two storey station building was not typical of the line and brick built. It was of cottage style extended on either side by lower projections.
Station buildings (the main building was on the northbound platform) have not survived but portions of the platforms have. The line is now single track. The footbridge is now at Bo'ness.
The disused signal box ('A' listed) remains by the level crossing at the south end of the former southbound platform. It is a particularly fine quite tall box with carved bargeboards on the gable ends, finials on the roof, an entry porch and vertical wooden strips (typical of the Highland). The windows are now boarded up and entry steps removed.
The disused signal box has an interesting history. It was originally 'Inverness Station' signal box erected in 1898. When this was reduced to a ground frame in 1917 it was relocated to Murthly, as the south signal cabin in 1919, replacing a box of 1882 which had been on the south side of the road. It is a MacKenzie and Holland type 3 box of Highland Railway style. With closure of the loop in 1984 it became a gate box and closed in 1986.
The north box was on the west side. It also was replaced in 1919. This box was alongside the north end of the loop, at the entry to the goods yard and opposite the short branch which ran north into Murthly Asylum.
The station closed to passengers in 1965 and goods in 1969.
Dunkeld and Birnam
Stormont Loch Halt
| Innernytie Siding|
Dunkeld Road Bridge Temporary Signal Box
Inchtuthil Legionary Fortress
Beatrix Potter Garden
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|07/04/1856||Perth and Dunkeld Railway|
Perth and Dunkeld Railway opened. Operated by the Scottish Midland Junction Railway. Stations opened at Murthly (possibly, may be late 1856) and Birnam and Dunkeld.
|03/05/1965||Aberfeldy Branch (Inverness and Perth Junction Railway)
Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Aberfeldy branch closed. Aberfeldy, Grandtully, Balnaguard Halt, Ballinluig, Dalguise closed (and Murthly, south of Dunkeld). To the north Killiecrankie, Struan, Dalnaspidal, Tomatin, Moy, Daviot, Culloden Moor closed.
|03/05/1965||Perth and Dunkeld Railway|
|/ /1984||Perth and Dunkeld Railway|
Murthly loop closed.
|The Perth and Dunkeld Railway|