Location type


Name and dates

Dalnaspidal (1864-1965)

Station code: National Rail ScotRail
, Scotland
Opened on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway.


This was a two platform station, the platforms slightly staggered and main station building on the southbound platform.

The loading bank and disused platforms remain intact. The signal box survived for many years out of use from 1978 but has been removed (2018?). The station building was dismantled in 1977 and re-located to Aviemore Speyside. In recent years the station cottages, which were derelict, have been renovated.

North and south signal boxes opened at the station in 1882. The north box was north of both passenger and goods stations. The south box was just south of the passenger station.

The line from Dalnacardoch Signal Box, to the east, to County March Signal Box [Highland Main Line], to the north west, was doubled in 1901. The signal boxes were replaced with a single box on the northbound platform.

The box controlled the station and, after 1966, a passing loop during the period 1966-1978 while the line between Dalwhinnie and Blair Atholl reverted to single track with passing loops.

In addition to the loading bank siding there were further sidings at the east end, north side and west end, south side.

This was the highest main line station in Britain at 1,405 feet. (Wanlockhead, on the Leadhills branch, was at 1498 ft.)

Pilot engines from the south, assisting on the climb from Blair Atholl to Druimuachdar Summit, could be taken off if the train halted at Dalnaspidal. Bankers dropped away just before. There was a large water tank at the south end of the southbound platform where banking engines could replenish their tanks before returning to Blair Atholl Shed. Both platforms had a water column. There was a short refuge siding alongside the northern line column, reached by reversal.

The station closed to goods in 1964. It closed to passengers in 1965. The line was reduced to a single track in 1966, but a loop retained here controlled by the box.

In 1978 the line was re-doubled and the box closed. The box survived until recently.

Glen Garry runs south from Dalnaspidal towards Loch Rannoch. Dalnaspidal Lodge is to the south.


One of the renovated cottages Sykes Cottages - 2 Station Cottages is listed with Sykes Cottages.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Chronology Dates

  /06/1864Inverness and Perth Junction Railway
Dalnaspidal opened.
  /  /1960Inverness and Perth Junction Railway
The double track between Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie was singled with passing places at Dalnacardoch and Dalnaspidal.
03/05/1965Aberfeldy Branch (Inverness and Perth Junction Railway)
Inverness and Perth Junction Railway
Aberfeldy branch closed, along with the closure of stations on the Highland Main Line with the withdrawal of local trains. On the branch Aberfeldy, Grandtully, Balnaguard Halt closed along with the junction station Ballinluig. South of the junction, on the main line, Dalguise and Murthly closed. To the north Killiecrankie, Struan, Dalnaspidal, Tomatin, Moy, Daviot, and Culloden Moor closed.

News items

31/08/2013Dalnaspidal station moved to Insider Festival site [BBC News]
03/11/2002Work on Highland Mainline 26/10/2002 to 03/11/2002


Bradshaw's Guides Scotlands Railways West Coast - Carlisle to Inverness: 5

Highland Railway Album: No. 1

Highland Railway Album: No. 2

Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons

Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail

The Highland Railway

The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2