Dalnaspidal

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Dalnaspidal (1864-1965)

Opened on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station, the platforms slightly staggered and main station building on the southbound plaform.

The loading bank and disused platforms remain intact. The signal box survived for many years out of use from 1978 but has been removed (2018?). The station building was dismantled and re-located to Aviemore Speyside. In recent years the station cottages, which were derelict, have been renovated.

North and south signal boxes opened at the station in 1882. The north box was north of both passenger and goods stations. The south box was just south of the passenger station.

The line from Dalnacardoch Signal box, to the east, to County March Signal Box, to the north west, was doubled in 1901. The signal boxes were replaced with a single box on the northbound platform.

The box controlled the station and, after 1966, a passing loop during the period 1966-1978 while the line between Dalwhinnie and Blair Atholl reverted to single track with passing loops.

In addition to the loading bank siding there were further sidings at the east end, north side and west end, south side.

This was the highest main line station in Britain at 1,405 feet. (Wanlochhead, on the Leadhills branch, was at 1498 ft.)

The station closed to passengers in 1965. The line was reduced to a single track in 1966, but a loop retained here controlled by the box.

In 1978 the line was re-doubled and the box closed.

Glen Garry runs south from Dalnaspidal towards Loch Rannoch. Dalnaspidal Lodge is to the south.

Local

One of the renovated cottages Sykes Cottages - 2 Station Cottages is listed with Sykes Cottages.

04/09/2019

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67





Dates

  /  /1865Inverness and Perth Junction Railway
Dalnaspidal opened.
  /  /1960Inverness and Perth Junction Railway
The double track between Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie was singled with passing places at Dalnacardoch and Dalnaspidal.