Blair Atholl (1863-)
Opened on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway.
Open on the Highland Main Line.
This two platform station has a two storey stone building on the up (southbound) platform and a timber one on the down platform. It is at the south end of a long double track section north to Dalwhinnie.
When the station was built there was little nearby, Blair Castle, a few houses by the station and a larger settlement at Bridge of Tilt. The original station had two platforms, a timber building on the up platform and a single road, single ended shed at the east end of the station, south of the line accessed from the west.
The present station building is a superior stone building dating from 1869. As this station served Blair Castle it was built to plans approved by the Duke of Atholl. The building was symmetrical with, originally, two single storey wings. The central block bears a strong resemblance to station buildings elsewhere on the Highland, such as Ardgay. The southern/east wing was demolished in the 1970s, possibly due to subsidence. This was the only stone built building on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway until 1879.
The station has a third platform - a north facing bay in the yard. The yard is accessed from the north and is on the west side of the station. The yard, after several years as a permanent way depot, has been out of use for some time and is now extremely overgrown although track is still present.
The goods shed was at the west end, north side of the line, just west of the platform.
The signal box, of McKenzie and Holland Type 3 design, remains next to a level crossing beyond which, going south, the line singles to pass over the Tilt Viaduct.
There were two boxes, the surviving box is the south box. The north box was at the west end of the station, north side. It closed in 1968.
At the west end of the station, south side of the line is the former locomotive shed. This was approached from the north and replaced the earlier structure at the east end of the station.
The line north to Dalwhinnie is double track. It was doubled as far as Dalnacardoch Signal Box in 1900, eventually extending to Dalwhinnie. The route was singled in 1966 but redoubled in 1978.
The line is supported and promoted by the Highland Main Line Community Partnership .
Black Island Platform
Dunkeld and Birnam
Other railway and industry locations
Blair Atholl Shed [1st]
Blair Atholl Shed
The Soldier^s Leap
Falls of Bruar
Linn of Tummel Waterfall
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1960||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
The double track between Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie was singled with passing places at Dalnacardoch and Dalnaspidal.
|/ /1970||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Line between Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie re-doubled. This was done in connection with the oil industry and anticipated extra traffic. The traffic did not increase as much as expected but the double track has been retained.
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2