This was a two platform station just west of the Garry Viaduct. The platforms remain here, out of use, and there are some Highland Railway style worker's cottages.
The main station building was on the northbound platform, with a smaller example on the southbound. The main building, the original was rather plain, was replaced in 1898 after a fire. Both original and replacement buildings were timber.
The station had a loop. North and south signal boxes opened in 1885. The north box was to the west and on the south side of the line and south box alongside the main station building.
The line was doubled between Blair Atholl and Dalnacardoch Signal Box in 1900. The boxes were replaced with a single box, on the west side of the main station building.
There was a goods yard at the west end of the station with sidings on either side of the line and a goods shed to the south. Sidings were approached from the east. There was a mail exchange apparatus 500 yards east of the station, allowing a northbound (only) travelling post office train to drop and pick up mail without stopping.
The goods yard closed in 1964. In 1965 the station closed to passengers. The signal box, sidings and crossovers were removed.
The line was reduced to a single track in 1966 with the northbound line being lifted. It was redoubled in 1978.
Just to the south is the Struan Inn. A coach service ran from the station to Kinloch Rannoch, about 12 miles away to the south west.
Black Island Platform
Dunkeld and Birnam
| Garry Viaduct|
Black Tank Siding Signal Box
Blair Atholl Shed
Dalanraoch Signal Box [2nd]
Blair Atholl Shed [1st]
Dalanraoch Signal Box [1st]
Dalnacardoch Ground Frame
Falls of Bruar
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2