Garry Viaduct

Location type

Bridge


Name and dates

Garry Viaduct (1863-)

Opened on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway.


Description

This is a pair of single track viaducts, one masonry and the other girder, carrying a double track over the River Garry and a minor road's bridge just east of the former Struan station. The viaduct is known as Struan Viaduct, Garry Viaduct and Calvine Viaduct.

The original viaduct had three arches; 40ft, 80ft and 40ft.

The single track Highland main line was doubled from Blair Atholl to Dalnacardoch in 1900, requiring a second bridge built to the north of the existing one. Singling came in 1966 (northbound line lifted), but fortunately both the bridges were retained and it was re-doubled in 1977/78. The bridges cross both the River Garry and the B847.


Tags

Viaduct

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map