This was a two platform station with a passing loop and the main building on the northbound platform. There was a goods yard to the south, on a loop which was approached by reversal from the northbound platform or from the southbound line at the south end of the loop, crossing over the line to reach the goods yard.
When first opened the northbound platform only existed, the loop was added later.
The loop opened in 1874. North and south boxes opened in 1887. The north box was on the west side of the line, north of the platforms, and the south box was south of the goods yard and also on the west side. The north box was replaced in 1914.
Both boxes were replaced with a single box in 1919.
The station closed to goods in 1964 and the loop and box also closed, the northbound platform only remaining open. The station closed in 1965.
The village itself is just off to the west. Dalguise House is to the north west.
The station house, partly in timber, remains standing, in use as a house.
To the north is the River Tay Viaduct.
Dunkeld and Birnam
| Dalguise Viaduct|
Dunkeld Road Bridge Temporary Signal Box
Beatrix Potter Garden
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Dalguise House is noted for being rented by Rupert William Potter, father of Beatrix, during the summers from 1871 to 1881.
Beatrix Potter (1866-1943) published 'The Tale of Peter Rabbit' in 1902.
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2