Opened on the Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway).
This was a two platform station. This platforms remain, a loop and a closed modern signal box.
The main station building was on the southbound platform with a waiting room opposite. The platforms were at the north end of the long loop.
There are sidings, the former goods yard, in use for permanent way at the south end, on the north (up) side. The goods shed was on the siding closest to the loop with loading banks in the northern part of the yard. Approach to the yard is from the east end of the southbound line.
At the west end of the station was a branch to Tomatin Distillery. The branch was accessed by a reversing spur. The spur was on the south side of the line and approached from the west. The distillery siding ran off to the south west.
From opening until 1968 there were two signal boxes. The north box was just to the east of the distillery headshunt, at the west end of the northbound siding. The south box was at the east end, on the south side of the line, opposite the goods yard turn out.
The station closed to passengers in 1965.
Despite the closure to passengers both boxes were replaced with a single modern brick built box in 1968. The new box is mid-way along the northbound platform.
The new box closed in 1979 when Aviemore signal box took over. The box still stands, out of use.
This former station is at 1029 feet above sea level.
Boat of Garten
Castle Stuart Platform
Ballifurth Farm Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Findhorn Viaduct [Tomatin]
Baddengorm Burn Viaduct
Dulnain Viaduct [Carrbridge]
Carrbridge Heritage Park
Culloden Battlefield Memorial
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|