The line was built by the Highland Railway to counter competing plans, such as extending the Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway north to Inverness (provided a good route from Glasgow controlled by the North British Railway) and another plan for a line extending the Great North of Scotland Railway from Boat of Garten to Inverness by a similar route.
|08/07/1892||Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway)|
Aviemore to Carrbridge opened.
|19/07/1897||Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway)|
Carrbridge to Daviot opened. This section includes the Aultnaslanach Viaduct, the only timber railway viaduct left in Scotland.
|01/11/1898||Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway)|
Daviot to Inverness, Millburn Junction, opened.
|18/06/1914||Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway)|
Bridge collapse at Baddengorm Burn Bridge (by Carrbridge). Train crashes due to missing bridge.
|08/09/2002||Inverness and Nairn RailwayInverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway)|
Blocked by flood-water.
These locations are along the line.
This is a three platform station, formerly with a bay at the north end on the west side. The station was rebuilt and enlarged when Aviemore became a junction on the opening of the Direct Line to Inverness via Carrbridge. The name Aviemore is from Gaelic, 'An Aghaidh Mhòr' - The big (mountain) face.
Construction of two signal boxes, a north and a south, began here in 1898 but the construction was abandoned. The site may have been considered for a station, not just a loop.
This is a two platform station with a passing loop. The main station building, waiting room and footbridge remain. The main building is timber and, in common with many Highland Railway stations, 'H' shaped in plan. At its north end the building is built out with a small glazed porch, dating from the resignalling of 1957. Platforms are linked by a lattice footbridge. There is a small car park. ...More details
This was a two platform station. The platforms remain, a loop, closed modern signal box and railway cottages.
This distillery opened with the Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway) in 1897. The distillery was rail served, it is on the west side of the line.
This was a two platform station. The station building still stands on the site of the southbound platform, there is a passing loop and much of the former platforms. The station building had a private waiting room for Mackintosh of Moy Hall.
This junction is east of Inverness station and is where the routes to Aberdeen and Perth divide. The Perth route initially travels north before swinging over the Aberdeen route to gain some height before turning south.