This is a two platform station with a passing loop. The main station building, waiting room and footbridge remain. The main building is timber and, in common with many Highland Railway stations, 'H' shaped in plan. At its north end the building is built out with a small glazed porch, dating from the resignalling of 1957. Platforms are linked by a lattice footbridge. There is a small car park. The station is at 914 ft above sea level.
There was a sizeable goods yard extensively used by Canadian foresters in both World Wars. A narrow gauge railway (Carrbridge Timber Extraction Railway, closed and removed) ran westwards from the station to assist logging activities.
When opened the station was a terminus between 1892 and 1897 while the line north west to Inverness was completed. (The next portion opened north to Daviot in 1897, and throughout in 1898.)
The station had two boxes, north and south. The north box was on the east side of the line, by the sand drag. The south box was on the west side. The north box opened in 1898 with the line and the south may have opened in 1892 when the line first reached Carr Bridge. Both boxes were replaced in 1957 by a single signal box in the station building. This in turn was replaced by a panel at Aviemore in 1979. All the signal boxes were called Carr Bridge as the renaming of the station to Carrbridge was in 1983.
The signal box at the south end remained for many years, although out of use, and is now at Bo'ness.
There is a sand drag at the north end of the station into which an out of control train can be derailed. This is due to the gradient north of the station which climbs to Slochd Summit. The fine lattice footbridge between the platforms still stands.
To the north of the station the line crosses the Baddengorm Burn. This was the site of a terrible crash when the previous bridge was washed away in a flash flood. There is now a much larger Baddengorm Burn Viaduct. Note, immediately north of the station the line crosses the Dulnain Viaduct [Carrbridge], the Baddengorm Burn is the next bridge north.
The line is supported and promoted by the Highland Main Line Community Partnership .
Boat of Garten
Ballifurth Farm Halt
Castle Grant Platform
| Dulnain Viaduct [Carrbridge]|
Carrbridge Heritage Park
Old Pack Horse Bridge
Baddengorm Burn Viaduct
Boat of Garten Shed
Spey Viaduct [Broomhill]
River Dulnain Viaduct
Findhorn Viaduct [Tomatin]
Carrbridge Golf Club
Dalfaber Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|08/07/1892||Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway)|
Aviemore to Carrbridge opened.
|19/07/1897||Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway)|
Carrbridge to Daviot opened. This section includes the Aultnaslanach Viaduct, the only timber railway viaduct left in Scotland.
|18/06/1914||Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway)|
Bridge collapse at Baddengorm Burn Bridge (by Carrbridge). Train crashes due to missing bridge.