This line is open. Passenger services are provided by ScotRail from Inverness to Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Stations remain open at Inverness and Nairn.
|24/07/1854||[Inverness and Nairn Railway]|
Line authorised, 15 miles from Inverness to Nairn and a 1/2 mile branch to Inverness harbour. Contractor : Brassey & Falshaw .
|05/11/1855||[Inverness and Nairn Railway]|
Line opened with stations at Inverness, Culloden, Dalcross, Fort George, Cawdor and Nairn.
|/ /1857||[Inverness and Nairn Railway]|
Cawdor renamed Kildrummie.
|17/05/1861||Inverness and Nairn RailwayInverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway|
Inverness and Nairn Railway absorbed by Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway.
|08/09/2002||[Inverness and Nairn Railway]|
[Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway] ([Highland Railway])
Blocked by flood-water.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This is a terminus for services to and from locations to the south such as Glasgow Queen Street High Level, Edinburgh Waverley and London, and locations north and west such as Kyle of Lochalsh, Thurso and Wick.
This junction is east of Inverness station and is where the routes to Aberdeen and Perth divide. The Perth route initially travels north before swinging over the Aberdeen route to gain some height before turning south.
This was a two platform station.
This was a private halt built to serve Castle Stuart which was to the north. ...More details
This was a two platform station. It was at the east end of a double track section from Inverness. There was a single siding goods yard to the east side of a level crossing, on the south side of the line and served from the west.
This station was largely to the west of an overbridge. It was a three platform station, two main line platforms to the south and a bay to the north for the Fort George [2nd] branch on the north side of the eastbound platform.
This was a single platform station largely to the east of a road overbridge. The platform was to the south of the running line.
This was a short lived station north of Kildrummie. Nothing now remains. ...More details
This is a two platform station in the south of Nairn. The station buildings on both platforms are similar to those at Pitlochry. The main building, a single storey, is on the eastbound (Aberdeen) platform, on the town side of the station. Thought to be designed by William Roberts and Murdoch Paterson it dates from 1885 and is 'B' listed. The platforms are linked by a lattice ...More details
Inverness Harbour Branch