Opened on the Inverness and Nairn Railway.
Opened on the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway.
Open on the Aberdeen to Inverness.
This is a two platform station in the south of Nairn. The station buildings on both platforms are similar to those at Pitlochry. The main building, a single storey, is on the eastbound (Aberdeen) platform, on the town side of the station. Thought to be designed by William Roberts and Murdoch Paterson it dates from 1885 and is 'B' listed. The platforms are linked by a lattice footbridge.
This was the eastern terminus of the Inverness and Nairn Railway. The line was extended east to Keith by the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway.
The original station was improved by extending the platforms and loop eastwards and expanding the goods yard.
The goods yard is at the west end, on the south side of the line and approached from the east. The goods shed has been transferred to Bridge of Dun.
The station has two signal boxes due to the length of the loop. In later years a single signalman cycled between the boxes. This arrangement has ceased with re-signalling. The disused boxes, both 'B' listed and closed in 2000, still stand.
The westbound platform waiting room is now a 'Man's Shed'. Mens Sheds Association
The station master's house it north of the station, at its west end.
Nairn Viaduct is to the east of the station.
Fort George [1st]
Fort George [2nd]
Castle Stuart Platform
Dallas Dhu Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Ardesier Platform construction yard
Findhorn Viaduct [Forres]
Forres West Junction
Forres South Junction
Red Burn Bridge
Ardclach Bell Tower
Hugh Miller^s Birthplace
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|22/12/1857||Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway|
Nairn to Dalvey [1st] (temporary station west of Forres [1st]) opened.