This is a double track stone arch viaduct, just east of Nairn station designed by Joseph Mitchell. It carries a single track.
It is 124 yds long, 41 ft high, with four arches over the River Nairn. Although built for two tracks, the line east was not doubled. The northern of the two lines was laid and remains in place. A second line was laid for many years, used as a headshunt off the east end of the loop at Nairn. This line is now lifted.
Stone was sourced from Lochloy Quarry, by the coast to the north east. There was difficulty establishing a solid foundation for this large masonry viaduct.
Fort George [1st]
Fort George [2nd]
Dallas Dhu Halt
| Ardesier Platform construction yard|
Findhorn Viaduct [Forres]
Forres West Junction
Dalcross Timber Siding
Forres South Junction
Forres East Junction
Dallas Dhu Siding
Fort George [Fort]
Ardclach Bell Tower
Hugh Miller's Birthplace
Dallas Dhu Distillery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1856||Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway|
Nairn Viaduct, designed by Joseph Mitchell, under construction.
Forres and Area Past and Present
Landranger (27) Nairn & Forres, River Findhorn (OS Landranger Map)
OS Explorer Map (423) Elgin, Forres and Lossiemouth (OS Explorer Active Map)
Time Does Transfix: Recollections of a Forres Railwayman