Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Where: Moray
This was a two platform station on the Inverness to Aberdeen line. The station building, typical of the line, was on the down platform which was the town side of the station. It opened with the extension of the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway from Dalvey [1st] to Elgin.
Forres [1st] was replaced by Forres [2nd] station in 1863 on the opening of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway south to Dunkeld and Perth over Druimuachdar Summit. The old station was left bypassed by the new triangle of lines at the new station on a goods only east-west bypass line.
The current station opened at Forres in 2017 replacing the second station. This is at approximately the same location as the original station, perhaps slightly further west.
Dallas Dhu Halt
| Forres Shed|
Forres East Junction
Forres South Junction
Forres West Junction
Findhorn Viaduct [Forres]
Dallas Dhu Siding
Dallas Dhu Distillery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Forres and Area Past and Present
Landranger (27) Nairn & Forres, River Findhorn (OS Landranger Map)
OS Explorer Map (423) Elgin, Forres and Lossiemouth (OS Explorer Active Map)
Time Does Transfix: Recollections of a Forres Railwayman