Dalvey [1st]

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Dalvey [1st] (1857-1858)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway.

Description

This was a short lived terminus west of Forres on the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway, opened with its line from Nairn to Dalvey. Arguably Dalvey [1st] was the first station in, or rather for, Forres. It was located outside the town to the west of the Findhorn Viaduct [Forres], the completion of which led to the closing of the temporary terminus as the line was extended east. The station was north of Newton of Dalvey, close to the Bridge of Findhorn, which crossed the River Findhorn just west of Forres. Dalvey House is to the north.

With the extension east through Forres [1st] to Elgin the terminus closed. Nothing remains of the station.

Tags

Station terminus short lived

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
07/12/2018


Books


Forres and Area Past and Present

Landranger (27) Nairn & Forres, River Findhorn (OS Landranger Map)

Old Forres

OS Explorer Map (423) Elgin, Forres and Lossiemouth (OS Explorer Active Map)

Time Does Transfix: Recollections of a Forres Railwayman