Fort George [2nd] (1899-1943)
Opened on the Fort George Branch (Highland Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This terminus was located at Ardersier. It was the terminus of a short branch from Gollanfield, the original Fort George [1st] station which it replaced. It was a single track line. Fort George [Fort] itself was just under two miles to the north.
It was a single platform station with a running round loop, the platform on the town (west) side. The station building was at the north end of the platform.
There was a goods yard on the west side serving loading banks and a goods shed.
There was a single road engine shed to the east.
A signal box, without signals, opened with the station. The box was at the south end of the platform.
The station closed to passengers in 1943. The box closed in 1949. The line closed in 1958.
The station building, now a house, and goods shed remain.
Fort George [2nd]
Fort George [1st]
Castle Stuart Platform
Other railway and industry locations
Ardesier Platform construction yard
Dalcross Timber Siding
Shore Mill Bridge
Farness Bridge and LC
Fort George [Fort]
Rosehaugh Level Crossing
Allerton Level Crossing
Culloden Battlefield Memorial
Woodside Level Crossing
Jemimaville Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|