This was a two platform station with ornate timber buildings featuring canopies. The station is closed but the line remains open. The station was a loop on the single track Highland main line. The platforms extended out on either side of the fine lattice girder bridge which carried a minor road and crossed the middle of the station. The buildings were to the east. The main building was on the southbound platform.
The station opened in 1864 or 1865 (sources vary), shortly after the line itself opened. The original station was minimal, just a platform. Although a siding was added in the 1880s it was 1896 before the loop, new platforms and station buildings were provided. The loop increased the line's capacity.
The goods yard was at the east end, south of the line, approached from the east. There were two signal boxes, dating from 1896, and a long loop which extended west of the platform ends. The north box was on the south side of the line at the west end and the south box on the southbound platform opposite the goods yard. The north box was removed in 1920, replaced with a ground frame. The south box took over the loop and was slightly relocated.
Killiecrankie House is to the north east and the Pass of Killiecrankie, Killiecrankie Tunnel and Killiecrankie Viaduct are to the south east. The River Garry is a little to the south.
The remaining signal box and the loop was removed in 1963. The station closed to passengers in 1965.
Nothing now remains of the station except nearby railwaymen's cottages and portions of the platforms at the north end where they were built in timber on a bridge over a stream. A house has been built on the site of the southbound platform station building.
The Battle of Killiecrankie, 1689, took place north of the former station and on the north/east side of the line. A Jacobite army under John Graham, Viscount Dundee, defeated General Hugh Mackay's army, fighting for William of Orange. Graham died in the battle and the Jacobite army was itself later defeated itself at Dunkeld.
The National Trust for Scotland has a visitors' centre.
NTS - Killiecrankie
Nearby is the 'The Soldier's Leap' where MacBane, a government soldier fleeing the rout, is said to have jumped the River Garry (a gap of around 5m).
Black Island Platform
Dunkeld and Birnam
| Killiecrankie Tunnel|
Blair Atholl Shed [1st]
Blair Atholl Shed
The Soldier's Leap
Linn of Tummel Waterfall
Pitlochry Fish Ladder
Pitlochry Festival Theatre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1865||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2