Killiecrankie Viaduct

Location type

Bridge

Name and dates

Killiecrankie Viaduct (1865-)

Opened on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway.

Description

This is a single track castellated stone viaduct of ten arches in the Pass of Killiecrankie. The viaduct is 109 yds long and each arch is 35ft long, 54 ft above the River Garry. The Garry is not crossed, the viaduct runs alongside it on very steep ground of the north/east bank.

Joseph Mitchell was the engineer. He noted the immensity of retaining walls for the line and that the narrowness of the pass required a viaduct to carry the line. The viaduct was needed to reach the hill of The Soldier's Leap crossing the Trooper^s Den burn. General George Wade^s road is above, with the A9 above again.

To the immediate north the line enters Killiecrankie Tunnel before emerging at the former Killiecrankie station.

Tags

Viaduct Trooper^s Den Burn River Garry

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map

Facilities

Listing: B



Books


Highland Railway Album: No. 1

Highland Railway Album: No. 2

Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons

Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail

The Highland Railway

The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2