This is a two platform station with a passing loop on a single track line. The station has a large fine station building on the northbound platform with large glazed platform canopy. There is a siding on the east side, approached from the south. A lattice bridge links the platforms. The station is at 745 ft above sea level.
A station cottage remains just to the north of the station on the west side of the line and on the east side is the signal box (^B^ listed, dating from around 1880 and extended at its south end in a rather ungainly fashion), both just south of the level crossing.
The station building is not the original, being replaced in 1891, completed 1894. The building has an unusual form - a long building alongside the platform with a wing projecting at the mid point joined to a station house or office (the wing is an addition). Architect William Roberts. It was built behind the timber original which was then demolished and a covered area erected on its site, with fine end screens (this has been cut back and the end screens replaced around 1970). The building contained a refreshment rooms and, before restaurant cars were introduced, food baskets were prepared for passengers. There was a further refreshment room in the large timber building on the southbound platform.
There is a pleasant waiting room and ticket office in the northern part of the building. The southern part is in use as council offices.
A water column was provided on both platforms.
The siding on the east side is the sole remainder of Kingussie Shed. The goods shed was on the west side, south end of the station with loading banks and a shed to the west, all approached from the south. From the yard a goods line ran from the south end of the station north to the Speyside Distillery [1st], since closed.
Opposite the goods yard turn out was the south box, opened probably 1885. The turn out for the engine shed was just to the north.
The south box closed in 1928 when taken over by the north box.
Kingussie goods yard closed in 1965 and was removed. The former engine shed siding was retained as a permanent way siding.
The line is supported and promoted by the Highland Main Line Community Partnership .
Ruthven Barracks is to the east of Kingussie.
Although there is no railway connection to the West Highland Railway, the A86 runs west past Laggan to run west to Tulloch, Roy Bridge and Spean Bridge.
At Laggan the A889 strikes south to Dalwhinnie and a minor road heads north west, General Wade^s Road via Melgarve and the Corrieyairack Pass to Fort Augustus.
Boat of Garten
| Kingussie Shed|
Balavil Signal Box
Spey Viaduct [Newtonmore]
Ralia Ballast Siding
Speyside Distillery [1st]
Highland Folk Museum
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Where go the Boats?
Robert Louis Stevenson visited Kingussie in 1882, staying in a house now called ^Grianach^. This stay may have inspired his Where go the boats? poem published in ^A Child^s Garden of Verses^ (originally ^Penny Whistles^) in 1885.
Internet Archive - A Child^s Garden of Verses - Where go the Boats?
Perhaps the dark brown river is the Gynack Burn or River Spey.
|09/09/1863||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Line opened from Pitlochry to Aviemore, thus throughout from Inverness to Perth. Additional stations opened at Blair Athole, Struan, Dalwhinnie, Newtonmore, Kingussie and Boat of Insh.
|08/01/2005||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Line closed between Kingussie and Aviemore due to rising water in the Gynack Burn and at Balavil Bridge. Also closed at Dalguise due to the River Tay rising.
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2