This was a three platform station. There was a through platform for the line to Fort Augustus Pier and two bay platforms. On the east side of the station was the goods yard, with goods shed and a two road locomotive shed. The station building was reminiscent of the West Highland style, but at ninety degrees to the line. The platforms were in concrete, as were many structures of this line. Curiously no crossover was provided in the station bays as built, but this was installed later.
The signal box opened with the line in 1903 and closed in 1933 with the closure to passengers. The line remained open for goods until 1946. The station building burned down in 1950.
Little remains of the station except a short portion of the long disused through platform close to the canal.
The line continued north by swing bridge over the Caledonian Canal and over a fine castellated viaduct (Oich Viaduct) over the River Oich to the Fort Augustus Pier station on Loch Ness. This portion of the line was only open to passengers for three years. It fell out of use in 1915, officially closing in 1924 and lifted after or around 1935.
To the south the line continued to Fort Augustus RNAD Depot. Parts of the trackbed are very well preserved with every sleeper indentation still visible.
The railway came to own the nearby Lovat Arms and Station Hotel.
Fort Augustus Pier
| Fort Augustus Swing Bridge|
Loch Oich Tunnel
Invergarry Iron Works
Foyers Aluminium Works
Lovat Arms and Station Hotel
Old Bridge Of Oich
Fort Augustus Abbey
Fort Augustus RNAD Depot
Bridge of Oich
Glengarry Castle Hotel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|21/07/1903||Highland RailwayInvergarry and Fort Augustus Railway|
Act passed which allows the Highland Railway to operate the services over the Fort Augustus line.
|22/07/1903||Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway
Line opened by Eliza Stewart Ellice of Invergarry House. The service was operated by the Highland Railway who were keen to keep the North British Railway away from Inverness. Connecting MacBrayne steamers operating along the Caledonian Canal connecting the line to Inverness via Loch Ness and the canal. Stations opened at Gairlochy, Invergarry, Aberchalder, Fort Augustus and Fort Augustus Pier. The Lovat Arms and Station Hotel was rebuilt and reopened in connection with new line.
|30/09/1906||Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway|
Fort Augustus Pier station and line to Fort Augustus station closed.
|31/12/1914||Invergarry and Fort Augustus RailwayNorth British Railway|
North British Railway buys line and railway hotel (Lovat Arms and Station Hotel) at Fort Augustus.
|01/12/1933||Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway|
Fort Augustus to Spean Bridge closed to passengers. (Also given as 31/12/1933).
|01/01/1947||Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway|
Fort Augustus to Spean Bridge (excluded) closed to freight.
Forgotten Railways: Scotland