This was an island platform station with a building similar to those on the West Highland Railway. The building's canopy on the west side extended over the down loop, due to the proximity of Invergarry House. The portion over the loop was cut back in later years. The signal box was north of the station building. Invergarry station was 15 miles from the junction with the West Highland Railway at Spean Bridge.
The private waiting room was due to the station being the closest to two country seats of gentlemen associated with the line. Invergarry House, just over 2.4 miles away, was owned by Edward Charles Ellice, Deputy Chairman of the line, and Glenquoich Lodge, some 25 miles to the west, was owned by Michael Arthur Bass (Lord Burton), who was the Chairman of the line.
The station was not in Invergarry, which is on the west side of Loch Oich, but at Laggan, some 2.5 miles to the south.
The station was also the railhead for the road west to the west coast at Loch Duich and the Isle of Skye, the route passing west by Invergarry, Loch Garry, Glen Loyne, Loch Cluanie, Glen Shiel and Loch Duich, Skye could be reached via the Kylerhea or Kyle of Lochalsh ferries.
Access to the island platform was by subway, as with West Highland Railway stations, but this walkway was covered as it emerged onto the platform.
On the west side of the station was a goods yard with two sidings, approached from the north.
The box became in ground frame in 1933 on closure to passengers. It was replaced with an actual ground frame in 1934. The line was heavily used in the Second World War, particularly for timber traffic, but closed in 1946.
After closure the building was demolished but the island platform remained intact, albeit increasingly overgrown. A goods loading bank also remained. Both platforms are in concrete.
In 2012 work began to clear the site and develop a museum at the former station, the most complete former station on the closed line. The platform and trackbed has been cleared and a portion of track laid. Invergarry Station
Fort Augustus Pier
Fort William [1st]
Loch Eil Outward Bound
| Invergarry Iron Works|
Loch Oich Tunnel
Calder Burn Viaduct
Glengarry Castle Hotel
Bridge of Oich
Corriegour Lodge Hotel
Brae Roy Lodge
Glen Turret House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
General Wade's Road
Between Aberchalder and Invergarry, to the south, the railway follows the route of General Wade's Military Road on the east side of Loch Oich. The modern A82 follows the west side of the loch.
The approach road to Invergarry is the former Military Road.
A choice of stations
Both Invergarry and Aberchalder stations were the same distance from the village of Invergarry.
The Royal Train visited the line in September 1905 when King Edward VII used Invergarry station (opened 1903) as a guest of Michael Arthur Bass (Lord Burton) at Glenquoich Lodge (rebuilt 1900). This was the King's second visit having been there in 1904. A fleet of cars took the guests from the station to the lodge.
Charles William Stamper, His Majesty's Motor Expert and Engineer, recalled that a day or two later Lord Burton's car was sent to collect the King's Messenger from the station. However on arrival at the lodge it was found that a bag containing the despatch-boxes was missing. The car returned and fortunately the boxes were found where they had fallen off the car just outside Invergarry.
This early use of cars, particularly by Lord Burton who was so heavily involved in the promotion and running of the line, gives pause for thought.
Following several days at the lodge, with deer-stalking and a visit to Loch Hourn for fishing from Burton's steam yacht SY Rover (then new - registered 1901), the King returned to the station and was taken to Balmoral Castle via Ballater.
On parting at the station both hoped to see each other at Glenquoich again - but Burton gave up his long lease of the estate and would die in 1909 and the King passed away in 1910.
The SY Rover, then in use as a Grimsby fishing boat, was captured and sunk by submarine SM UB-19 in 1916.
|22/07/1903||Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway
Line opened by Eliza Stewart Ellice of Invergarry House. The service was operated by the Highland Railway who were keen to keep the North British Railway away from Inverness. Connecting MacBrayne steamers operating along the Caledonian Canal connecting the line to Inverness via Loch Ness and the canal. Stations opened at Gairlochy, Invergarry, Aberchalder, Fort Augustus and Fort Augustus Pier. The Lovat Arms and Station Hotel was rebuilt and reopened in connection with new line.
Forgotten Railways: Scotland