Spean Bridge

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Spean Bridge (1894-)

Opened on the Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway.

Opened on the West Highland Railway.


Description

This is a two platform station with a passing loop. The main station building, altered at the road side, remains standing. There is a disused signal box dating from 1949. A goods yard siding, now in use for permanent way purposes, remains.

The station was originally a two platform station but a bay platform was added on the west side with the opening of the Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway. A complicated double track junction was installed for the branch and an engine shed. The junction was later simplified and no longer exists. The edge of the bay platform can still be traced. The station building for the branch company existed until the late 1980s. After closure the first section as far as the A82 road overbridge was retained as a siding.


Tags

Station junction

External links

Canmore site record





Books

Dates

07/08/1894West Highland Railway
Public opening from Fort William to Craigendoran. Stations opened at Craigendoran Upper, Helensburgh Upper, Row, Garelochhead, Arrochar and Tarbet, Ardlui, Crianlarich, Tyndrum [WHR] , Bridge of Orchy, Gortan (private), Rannoch, Corrour (private), Inverlair, Roy Bridge, Spean Bridge and Fort William [1st].