This was an island platform station with a building typical of the line. There was a signal box to the south of the station building and a generous goods yard, (four sidings, and loading banks for animals and goods), laid out on the east side. Access to the platform was by a ramp from a road overbridge.
The station closed to passengers in 1933 and the box became a ground frame, replaced with an actual ground frame in 1934. The line closed in 1946.
The station site has been largely cleared although the goods bank on the east side remained. It is now a caravan park. Part of the overbridge at the north end of the station remains.
Gairlochy Holiday Park
Fort William [1st]
Loch Eil Outward Bound
| Gairlochy Locks|
Spean Viaduct [IFA]
Spean Bridge Shed
Charing Cross [Roy Bridge]
Nevis Range Mountain Resort
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|22/07/1903||Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway
Line opened by Eliza Stewart Ellice of Invergarry House. The service was operated by the Highland Railway who were keen to keep the North British Railway away from Inverness. Connecting MacBrayne steamers operating along the Caledonian Canal connecting the line to Inverness via Loch Ness and the canal. Stations opened at Gairlochy, Invergarry, Aberchalder, Fort Augustus and Fort Augustus Pier. The Lovat Arms and Station Hotel was rebuilt and reopened in connection with new line.
Forgotten Railways: Scotland