This was a one platform station on the east side of a loop. The loop was un-signalled and was for goods use. There was a siding on the west side, approached from the south. The station building was typical of the line, similar to those on the Mallaig Extension (West Highland Railway).
After closure the building was demolished and concrete platform survived for many years. The trackbed is now infilled and a timber house occupies the platform.
Fort Augustus Pier
| Loch Oich Tunnel|
Invergarry Iron Works
Fort Augustus Swing Bridge
Bridge of Oich
Glengarry Castle Hotel
Fort Augustus RNAD Depot
Lovat Arms and Station Hotel
Fort Augustus Abbey
Old Bridge Of Oich
Brae Roy Lodge
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
General Wade's Road
Between Aberchalder and Invergarry, to the south, the railway follows the route of General Wade's Military Road on the east side of Loch Oich. The modern A82 follows the west side of the loch.
A choice of stations
Both Invergarry and Aberchalder stations were the same distance from the village of Invergarry.
|22/07/1903||Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway
Line opened by Eliza Stewart Ellice of Invergarry House. The service was operated by the Highland Railway who were keen to keep the North British Railway away from Inverness. Connecting MacBrayne steamers operating along the Caledonian Canal connecting the line to Inverness via Loch Ness and the canal. Stations opened at Gairlochy, Invergarry, Aberchalder, Fort Augustus and Fort Augustus Pier. The Lovat Arms and Station Hotel was rebuilt and reopened in connection with new line.
|01/11/1911||Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway|
|01/08/1913||Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway|
|01/12/1933||Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway|
Forgotten Railways: Scotland