Oich Viaduct

Location type

Bridge

Name and dates

Oich Viaduct (1903-1924)

Opened on the Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway.

Description

This was a single track lattice girder bridge with four spans and castellated piers. The line's engineers were Forman and McColl and the resident engineer was William Roberts, later of the Highland Railway.

The viaduct was just north of the Fort Augustus Swing Bridge by which the line crossed the Caledonian Canal.

The bridge is noted for the expense of creating castellated piers.

The viaduct was closed by July 1924, although the disused track remained in place for some time. It was demolished in 1944, with the five mass concrete piers left standing. A small single arch bridge over the canal towpath also remains at the south end.

Tags

Viaduct River Oich



Books


Forgotten Railways: Scotland