Opened on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway.
Open on the Highland Main Line.
This is a single platform station. It was formerly a two platform station with a passing loop, however the southbound line was lifted in the 1980s.
The main station building, from 1893, is now a house. The building was perhaps replaced in preparation for the improved line to Inverness via Carrbridge opening in 1897. The architect was William Roberts. It was formerly at the south end of the northbound platform but the platform has been extended at the north end and cut back at the south so it now sits someway clear of the platform to its south.
There was a goods yard at the north end of the siding, on the west side of the line with sidings, and at one time a turntable, approached from the north.
A north and south signal cabin pair opened here in 1882, both on the west side of the line. These survived until 1920 when they were replaced by a single box at the north end of the station, on the southbound platform. The loop saw light use from 1970, when switching out was provided, and the box closed in 1985 with the southbound line being lifted.
There is accommodation in the shape of an imitation signal box. Signal Box Newtonmore
To the south of the station is Spey Viaduct [Newtonmore].
The line is supported and promoted by the Highland Main Line Community Partnership .
Boat of Garten
Fort Augustus Pier
Other railway and industry locations
Spey Viaduct [Newtonmore]
Ralia Ballast Siding
Highland Folk Museum
Carn Dearg South East Peak
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2