Opened on the Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This was a terminus with a loop and sidings and a goods shed. There was no platform, (nor was there a platform at Leadhills) but there was a slightly raised area of flattened ground alongside the loop. Access to the carriages was by means of steps on the carriages. The station building was a lean-to built onto the side of the goods shed, just to the south of the loop.
The station was associated with the lead industry in Wanlockhead and Leadhills. The site was remote to the town, on a hillside to the south east.
Steam railcars were used in later years. The locomotive shed was at Leadhills.
Other railway and industry locations
Risping Cleuch Viaduct
Elvan Water Viaduct
Ardoch Signal Box
Mennock Water Viaduct
Enterkin Burn Viaduct
Sanquhar Tile Works
Crawick Water Viaduct
Gateside Colliery Nos 4 and 5
Wanlockhead Beam Engine
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1764||William Symington|
Born, worked at Wanlockhead lead mines until 1791.
Beattock to Glasgow (Buchanan Street) and Edinburgh (Lothian Road) opened. The stations at Abington and Elvanfoot on its main line are used by the lead mines and villages at Leadhills and Wanlockhead.