This was a shale crude oil works and refinery opened by the Pumpherston Oil Company. It was provided with shale, by rail, from a number of mines. The railway was the Camps Branch (North British Railway) of 1869.
The crude oil works closed in the 1920s but the refinery remained, supplied with crude from various sources, including Nottinghamshire. The branch was cut back to the refinery in 1959. The refinery closed in 1964. The branch closed in 1981. The last part, the detergent plant, closed in 1993 along with the brickworks just to the north.
Ratho (Low Level)
| Roman Camp Oil Works|
Camps Junction [NB]
East Calder Goods
Middleton Hall Sidings
Muirhead Canal Bridge
Camps Lime Works
Raw Camps Mine
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1905||Baads Mine (West Calder)|
Opened by Youngs Paraffin Light and Mineral Oil Company for Pumpherston Oil Works, for coal. Also known as West Mains.
|/ /1905||Leadhills Mining Company|
Archibald & William Fraser (founders of the Pumpherston Oil Works (Pumpherston Oil Company Limited)) take over the Wanlockhead mines from the Duke of Queensberry.
|/ /1962||Baads Mine (West Calder)|
Closed when Pumpherston Oil Works closed.