This was an early passenger terminus in Glasgow opened in 1831. Known variously as
- Glebe Street
- Glasgow (Townhead)
- St Rollox [1st]
It was simply the Glasgow terminus of the line when opened, the first Glasgow station.
This was the west terminus of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway which ran east to the Monklands, meeting the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway at its Gartsherrie [M and K] station. From there, trains could continue to locations such as Kipps, Slamannan, Coatbridge [NB] and Motherwell Junction.
Astonishingly it was to this primitive terminus that the trains from England, via the brand new Caledonian Railway, ran between 15 February 1848 and 1 June 1849 when South Side [CR] took the traffic with the opening of the Clydesdale Junction Railway.
The station was known by several different names. Most likely it was known as the Glasgow terminus of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway during its short lifetime. Names associated with it include Glebe Street, Glasgow (Townhead) and St Rollox.
The location was by the Glebe Street level crossing near the St Rollox Chemical Works.
The site was distant from the city centre and it was replaced by Buchanan Street in 1849 to make a more fitting terminus for the new Caledonian Railway. After this date the site was subsumed into the goods lines, particularly the coal yard at St Rollox Depot, at Townhead.
Nothing remains today, the trackbed has been landscaped and, along with the Monkland Canal, partly covered by the M8 motorway. The station may have been on the west side of today's Pinkston Road.
Broomhill Cottage, which appeared as a cottage from the north and a stone built two storey two road shed from the east, has been referred to as the booking office. However it has also been pointed out that on demolition the stone turned out to be stone sleepers. It may not date from the opening, but perhaps it was associated with the station. As to the purpose of the lower level both engine shed and carriage shed have been mentioned. The cottage site is to the west of Pinkston Road. Glebe Street Works shed was on the east side.
St Rollox [2nd]
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Buchanan Street [Subway]
| Glebe Street Works|
St Rollox Goods West
St Rollox Chemical Works
Buchanan Street Tunnel East Signal Box
St Rollox Depot
Buchanan Street Tunnel
Castle Street Coal Depot
Sun Foundry [Glasgow]
Buchanan Street Tunnel West Signal Box
Inchbelly Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/06/1831||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway|
Glasgow (Townhead) and Gartgill (Gartsherrie) stations opened at either end of the line.
|27/09/1831||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway|
Glasgow (Townhead) to Gartgill (Gartsherrie) opened officially.
Beattock to Glasgow (Townhead) (via the Wishaw and Coltness Railway and the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway) and Edinburgh (Lothian Road) branch opened. The stations at Abington and Elvanfoot, on its main line, are used by the lead mines and villages at Leadhills and Wanlockhead.
|01/11/1849||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway|
Glasgow (Townhead) to Milton Junction closed to passengers.
|24/07/1968||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway|
Glasgow (Townhead) to Milton Junction closed.