St Rollox [1st]

Location type


Names and dates

Glebe Street (1831-1849)
Glasgow (Townhead) (1831-1849)
St Rollox [1st] (1831-1849)

Opened on the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


This was an early passenger terminus in Glasgow opened in 1831.

This was the west terminus of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway which ran east to the Monklands, meeting the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway at its Gartsherrie [M and K] station. From there, trains could continue to locations such as Kipps, Slamannan, Coatbridge [NB] and Motherwell Junction.

The station was known by several different names. Most likely it was known as the Glasgow terminus of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway during its short lifetime. Names associated with it include Glebe Street, Glasgow (Townhead) and St Rollox.

The location was by the Glebe Street level crossing near the St Rollox Chemical Works.

The site was distant from the city centre and it was replaced by Buchanan Street in 1849 to make a more fitting terminus for the new Caledonian Railway. After this date the site was subsumed into the goods lines, particularly the coal yard at St Rollox Depot, at Townhead.

Nothing remains today, the trackbed has been landscaped and, along with the Monkland Canal, partly covered by the M8 motorway. The station may have been on the west side of today's Pinkston Road.

Broomhill Cottage, which appeared as a cottage from the north and a stone built two storey two road shed from the east, has been referred to as the booking office. However it has also been pointed out that on demolition the stone turned out to be stone sleepers. It may not date from the opening, but perhaps it was associated with the station. As to the purpose of the lower level both engine shed and carriage shed have been mentioned. The cottage site is to the west of Pinkston Road. Glebe Street Works shed was on the east side.


Terminus station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67