Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway.
This station opened on the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway just east of the junction formed with the opening of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway in 1831.
It was probably a two platform station, as suggested by later maps of 1860 which show a building on the northbound/westbound platform.
The Gartsherrie Inn was opened just to the west of the station, on the south side of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway. It was on the southbound platform of the later Gartsherrie station, with a strange orientation due to its alignment with the original line.
The M&K station was closed in 1849 and its remains obliterated by subsequent addition of sidings. Nothing remains today.
Coatbridge Central [NB]
| Gartsherrie Shed|
Gartsherrie South Junction
Weldless Chain Works
Gartsherrie East Junction
Gartsherrie North Junction
Gunnie Yard [2nd]
Coatbridge Freightliner Terminal
Gunnie North Signal Box
Gartsherrie Ore Sidings
Gunnie Yard [1st]
Gartsherrie Colliery Pits Nos 8 and 9
Heatherbell Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Coatbridge 1897: Lanarkshire Sheet 7.12 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)
Coatbridge 1910: Lanarkshire Sheet 7.12 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Lanarkshire)
Coatbridge: Images of Scotland
Monkland: The Canal That Made Money (Lanarkshire heritage series)
Old Coatbridge (Lanarkshire Heritage)
Old Coatbridge Villages
Old Gartcosh, Glenboig, Coatdyke and the Coatbridge Villages
OS Explorer Map (343) Motherwell and Coatbridge (OS Explorer Paper Map) (OS Explorer Active Map)