This station opened with the 1843 branch of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway to Coatbridge [CR]. It was located on the curve from Gartsherrie North Junction to Gartsherrie South Junction, the latter being the southern end of a chord opened in 1848 with the Caledonian Railway.
At first the station operated with the Gartsherrie [M and K] station, just to the east on the parallel Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway, but this closed in 1849.
On the southbound platform was a building which had been the Gartsherrie Inn, opened with the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway in 1831. The alignment of the building was with that original connection and not the later curve on which Gartsherrie stood. It was at the west end of the original junction station, on the south side of the line.
Gartsherrie had two platforms with shelters (and perhaps one or two on the 1848 Caledonian Curve to the east). There were sidings on both the east and west side, approached from Gartsherrie North Junction. Those on the west served a bay.
The station closed in 1940 and was largely obliterated in the late 1960s. The line remains open today. The former westbound track has become the headshunt of the Coatbridge Freightliner Terminal, the other continues in its original use.
A very interesting and complicated location. Just to the west of the station was a flat railway level crossing where the original route of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway was crossed by the Caledonian Railway. Only the latter remains today.
Gartsherrie House was to the south. The station was less convenient for the Gartsherrie Iron Works which were half a mile to the south east.
Gartsherrie [M and K]
Coatbridge Central [NB]
Other railway and industry locations
Gartsherrie South Junction
Gartsherrie East Junction
Gartsherrie North Junction
Weldless Chain Works
Gunnie Yard [2nd]
Gartsherrie Colliery Pits Nos 8 and 9
Coatbridge Freightliner Terminal
Gunnie North Signal Box
Gartsherrie Ore Sidings
Kilgarth Signal Box
Heatherbell Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|