Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Ballochney Railway.
This location is considered to be the first station in, or rather near, Airdrie.
This station was situated between Leaend, north of the line, and Garden Square, south of the line. It has been described as being either on a siding or being on the main line. Both are possible. The main line was on an embankment at this location. With the main line climbing the lower Ballochney Incline (Commonhead Incline) the station was probably provided on a level siding would be from Kipps Junction Incline Foot to the west.
On the 1864 OS map there is a suggestion of a siding on the south side of the line and approached from the west. This may have led to the Old Quarry, just to the east and north of Garden Square. If this siding were the station, and given that it is known the station had a building large enough to be rented out after station closure, this siding may have run to the two red buildings (red indicates stone built) on the immediate south side of the line.
Garden Square was built in 1830 at Leaend, a village for railway workers.
This same building may have been alongside a platform at the top of the embankment.
On the embankment was the Ballochney Incline. It seems unlikely that the station would have been located on the incline so either the station was located on a short branch, really a siding, or it was not located at Leaend but further west at the incline foot. With the level of activity there would be at the incline foot this seems unlikely.
The 'lots' of the construction of the line imply that the station was on a branch, simply because lot 1 ran from the M&K Kipps branch to Leaend and lot 2 ran from Mosside to the incline head. Were Leaend on the main line lot 2 might be expected to have run from Leaend to the incline head.
Finally, considering the lot lengths. Lot 2 was 2123 yards long. Measured from the incline head this runs west and finishes at the incline foot where the Thrushbush branch commenced, a point some way east of Kipps. Lot 1 was 1224 yard long. Measured from Leaend this runs in parallel as far as the incline foot and continues west to just east of Kipps level crossing and west of the later Kipps Junction, a location likely to have been the meeting point of the M&K and Ballochney. If measured from the incline foot this ran as far west as Greenside Junction, which seems unlikely. Indeed, why would the station be called Leaend?
Leaend, then, is likely to have been on a short siding.
Commonhead (Airdrie North)
Airdrie Hallcraig Street
Coatbridge Central [NB]
Calder Iron Works [Station]
| Coal Pit|
Kippsbyre No 4 Pit
Kippsbyre No 3 Pit
Kipps Junction Incline Foot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|