Opened on the Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This is a station on a preserved narrow gauge railway. There is a platform, loop and sidings. It is the present northern terminus of the line.
The original station here on the line from Elvanfoot to Wanlockhead closed in 1939. The original station had a loop, sidings and a goods shed. Sidings were accessed from the north east. There was no platform, (nor was there a platform at Wanlockhead) but there was a slightly raised area of flattened ground alongside the loop. Access to the carriages was by means of steps on the carriages. The station building was a lean-to built onto the side of the goods shed, just to the north of the loop.
The station was associated with the lead industry in Leadhills and Wanlockhead. The site was remote to the town, on a hillside to the south east.
Steam railcars were used in later years. The locomotive shed was to the north east.
The site re-opened in 2000 as part of a narrow gauge railway, the Leadhills Railway .
Other railway and industry locations
Risping Cleuch Viaduct
Elvan Water Viaduct
Mennock Water Viaduct
Ardoch Signal Box
Enterkin Burn Viaduct
Sanquhar Tile Works
Wanlockhead Beam Engine
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Beattock to Glasgow (Buchanan Street) and Edinburgh (Lothian Road) opened. The stations at Abington and Elvanfoot on its main line are used by the lead mines and villages at Leadhills and Wanlockhead.