Elvanfoot

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Elvanfoot (1848-1965)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.

Opened on the Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch (Caledonian Railway).


Description

This was a two platform station on the Caledonian Railway main line with interchange for the Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch (Caledonian Railway).

The line remains open, the station is closed.

The original station featured two quite short platforms with a goods yard on the down side (west side) approached from the north.

The platforms were lengthened and goods yard expanded. A larger station building was provided on the down platform and a siding laid down the rear of the up platform, accessed from the south.

It became a junction when the Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch (Caledonian Railway) opened. Although the line approached from the south, this connected to the line in the goods yard at the north end of the station. A siding was laid in behind the down platform at the south end of the station to provide an exchange platform.

The station closed in 1965 and the goods yard lines and junction are lifted. A loading bank remains to the west of the station, in the former goods yard.


Tags

Station junction

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67





Dates

15/02/1848Caledonian Railway
Beattock to Glasgow (Buchanan Street) and Edinburgh (Lothian Road) opened. The stations at Abington and Elvanfoot on its main line are used by the lead mines and villages at Leadhills and Wanlockhead.